MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All -

A few weeks back I had a shop install a new Timken wheel bearing and seal hit for my rear passenger side. Upon taking it out for a spin, I immediately heard grinding that sounded different than my previous wheel bearing sound but only when loading up the rear passenger side (turning left). I was a bit annoyed as I had sourced all brand new parts (including a new hub) and was worried their poor install damaged the new components going in.

I took it upon myself to then buy the required tools an redo the job they did, but with brand new parts again so as to rule out possible damaged items. This go around I sourced a new (read used but sand blasted and sprayed) knuckle, a new bearing, new seals, and another new hub. My reasoning was that if I had the same noise then these pieces were in fact not damaged and I could just use them on the other side of the vehicle when the time came.

Fast forward a bit - I completely reassemble the car and put it down on the ground to go for a test drive. Yet again I have the SAME noise! Its driving me crazy but I really doubt its two poor wheel bearings that are causing the issue. Has anyone encountered an issue like this before? Is it possible the axle is whats causing noise when I load up that side? Maybe I didn't tighten the axle nut enough? If anyone has any advice I'd be eternally grateful.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Sorry nobody responded to this. I’m replying because I’m having similar issue except yours sounds like it could be the axle since you replaced the wheel bearing but are still having the issue.

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
With car still jacked up spin the wheel to see if there is any noise at that slow speed. Also make sure nothing else at that corner is rubbing or damaged. Are you sure it's bearing noise and not something else grinding. Make sure the brake backing plate isn't bent. I've had that happen and it rubbed on the rotor. Timken makes really good bearings so I doubt it's 2 bad ones in a row.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts