MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have an '87 mr2 with warped front rotors for one thing, and bad brake balance for another. I want to be able to brake while in a turn and feel like the brake balance is close to neutral. So far if i get on the brakes in a corner the fronts want to lock and go straight. Does anyone have any recomendations for drilled rotors (too keep them warp free) and pads to even the balance out?

Just remembered, I know the weight is biased to the rear, and its hard to get weight to transfer to the front before turn-in. Now i'm wondering if what im asking is too much for just modding brakes- to brake without fade and transfer weight to the front tires, but then have neutral brake balance during the turn....

·
Registered
182 Posts
2400lbs is heavy

kirkosaurus said:
you don't need big honkin' heavy brakes if you don't have a big honkin' heavy car.

if you are in the tight stuff, downhill. I guess you folks are drag racers, lol. The biggest difference between most race cars and most street cars is braking. I have owned five AW11's, they, and most all other street cars are simply not made to handle threshold braking (or anywhere near that).

As I tell most everyone, you want to know how fast a car is, dont look at the engine displacement emblem on the side of the car, instead look at the front brake rotors. That will tell you all you need to know. IMO, brakes are the number one fail point in performance driving and you never have too much. If you dont have the brakes, you might as well not have all the other performance parts you have added. Ask anyone that has ever owned a Sunbeam Tiger...:cat:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi! I just try my new brake set-up at kingston 2008 and it is very good

a take 4 disc from a mazda 5 2007 and I machin the disc to have 11 1/2 diameter. I drill 4 hole for the stud to fit my hub.

for the braket, I modified my stock one and I put a metal plate to reinforced the braket.

I have sniper pad (carbon-kelvlar-metallic) front and rear
Goodrich SS brake lines
dot 4 brake fluide ford heavy duty
brake master brace
rebuilt caliper

this set-up help on the track and when I have the mr2bbq on the back.

chow
steph

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Just thought I'd add my setup to this.

89 S/C

Front:
11.75X1.25 2 piece Directional Vane Rotors, Willwood 1.75 4pot calipers
Stainless Lines
EBC Yellow Stuff Pads

Rear
Stock 88 S/C Front rotor (258mm x22mm)
94 Mr2 Turbo Rear calipers
Stainless Lines
EBC Yellow Stuff Pads

Wilwood Proportioning Valve
ATE Superblue Fluid

Pics

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
88 SC
stock rotors
Goodridge coated stainless lines
Porterfield HP R4S pads front/rear
High & Tight MS brace

works FANTASTIC for daily driving and autocross. not so much for road course use, but for anything else its great.

I'd love to try some better fluid like this blue stuff people keep talking about.

·
Registered
324 Posts
i have an 87 n/a, adding a turbo in a few weeks, here is the set up i run.
Drilled and sloted rotors front and rear-cyro treated(cant warp them- ive tried)
rebuilt all 4 calipers
Paragon performance SS brake lines
Ebc yellows front and rear (kevlar/ceramic)
Ate super blue dot 4
new master cylinder

had the car at Autobahn and a Putnam park doing HPDE's and once you get some heat in the brakes it stop's incredibly, no fade even after 15 min of laps

·
Registered
48 Posts
86 aw11 w/3vzfe
Just starting to rework my brake setup but so far all I've done is change the front brakes.
4 piston calipers from a 90 toyota pickup 4wd
11-9/16 rotors from an 03 wrx

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just ordered carbon ceramic front and rear pads new stock replacement rotors from jegs i think its powerstop idk some kit like z17 or 23 not sure but theyre on the way ill write back after i install also noticed inner axle boots shot so im buying axles tomorrow. But its a great car with 223,746miles all original 5speed na. Im not doing anything to go fast and ruin this car it was owned by older woman and seems like it never has seen 4000rpms her son put black leather and red like textures leather inside got killer stereo her son drove a f430 white an alante and 2 xlr caddies she sold me it for 4000$ timing belt done engine rebuild done bushings everything was fixed and maintained im lucky on this one. Has everything perfect ashtray even sunroof with inside cover. Ive had it 3months was ofered 8000$ for it by some young guy. Im looking for another one but 88-89s\c but must be cleannnn. Thats the one ill make a tire burner. This ones my fifth one ive owned gotta love toyota. Ill write back after powerstops go in. Also has some enkei wheels the kids say theyre are good idk im old they look great. Larry from south florida
image000001(3).jpg

·
Registered
44 Posts
Completely re-engineered the brakes to fix the balance and keep up with track duty.
Fronts are Mini Cooper S 294mm rotors with BMW Z3 calipers (30% stronger than stock fronts)
Rears are the same Mini Cooper S 294mm rotors with Mustang SN195 calipers (45% stronger than stock rears)
Master cylinder is from a T100 1/2 ton (30% lower pressure than stock)
Installed a Wilwood adjustable proportioning valve since it actually needs it now.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Completely re-engineered the brakes to fix the balance and keep up with track duty.
Fronts are Mini Cooper S 294mm rotors with BMW Z3 calipers (30% stronger than stock fronts)
Rears are the same Mini Cooper S 294mm rotors with Mustang SN195 calipers (45% stronger than stock rears)
Installed a Wilwood adjustable proportioning valve since it actually needs it now.
Stock just bought powerstop carbon ceramic pads putting in tomoro today i fixed my ac it was just not blowing cuz the little thing behind glove box for temp contol has a slider and in heat in was causing a restriction so my buddy who is great mechanic says hes not but can fix anything and is not that bright so he charged freon and found that blockage of some **** back there now got cold ac in florida baby im stocked. Compressor doen need to be changed its bit noisy like the rest of the scarlett turd. But i love this car more everyday. I gotta tackle like three or four. Quarter size rust spots one on drivers side little window over gas cap and one by mudflap driver side above winshield is got a rusty winshield pocket i have to pull windshield to do right or put inhibitor on it and some seam sealer all minor but dont know much bout body work and people in south florida are all brain dead from heat and beer. I am going to fix over time im very very picky when i have a cool car. So i have a list and it grows faster than i fix lol. But guy did leather inside but another half ass job not nearly my standards. Trans needs tlc i can feel it. Door panels by armrests are soft im going to fiberglas on back side dashby clock has two inch size cracks but im picky so gotta fix stereo is amazing pioneer alpine blutooth loud as a concert so thats fine steering wheel and shifter boot all leater and killer e brake boot need one slight surface rust in frunk by spare. Picky picky. One headlite kinda goes down but not up and other doesnt go up or dow sick of that must fix. Needs struts and mounts badly align badly bought tires got ripped off by florida doosh. Need four nice i have nice enkei rims 17" gas cap plastic closer. Door tabs for interior lite. Picky picky. Nice seatcovers a must and then new motor and im happy lolol nice talking to u always. Where you live and send more pix to me ill do same of the inside. Guy before me did alot of work so his mom can drive around it hardly has seen 400rpms and i baby it worse. Larry from fla.

·
Registered
23 Posts
bfla.btw everybody on this site is awesome ty for always trying to help and its great to see that were all still loving toyota mr2. People who never had one or drove one are missing out out dam cool they are i get thumbs up everytime i drive anywhere. Its nice to talk bout cars to all of you i just wish i had a pile of money so i can make the scarlett turd perfect like when it rolled out the showroom. Ive had an 85 na red an86 na black 88lite blue auto and 89 charcoal grey auto t-top. Loved them all. T-top one was so awesome paid 2700 for it in 2005 but a buddy begged me to sell to him i did and made alot on it but i liked it the best never had a second gen and those new ones are so ugly id rather drive a miata and i hate them all mr2 people are cool and laid back friendly helpful glad i found this site. Everyone post more pix its nice to see what people are sporting around town its my daily driver and i wont drive anything else until i get more money to buy another mr2 Later be safe from the invisable enemy that china put on us hard to win a war against an enemy we cant see but we will were americans. We will prevail Larry nobody famous from south florida

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey whats up u know bout egr vacuum modulator canister mines got broken port and clogged up but cant locate one for 87 1.6. Part number is 25870-16010 and getting run around and crazy prices from morons im sure that the 2.0 motor is diffent vacuum or voltage cant figure it out any thoughts my friend. I ordered the vac switch 20$ but canister is cloggged up and broken hey ty bud Larry

·
Registered
23 Posts
Forgot to say just bought haggerty ins full coverage with 14g replacement value for 199$ down and 67$ a month im stoked i had crappy bucket shop state minimum for twice that and no coverage. Im also getting a real apprasel. Hope its alot. Never being under insured again cause my foxbody got totalled and had to fight to get paid

·
Registered
1986 MK1.5
441 Posts
Wow, this is good stuff. How much fab work did this take?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I made the adapter plates on my mill, when I get home I'll try and remember to upload the CAD files and drawings. Parking brake cables are not super straightforward, I had to modify the Ford brackets on the calipers and we'll as modifying cables from the mustang. They work, but it's not something you can buy off the shelf.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I made the adapter plates on my mill, when I get home I'll try and remember to upload the CAD files and drawings. Parking brake cables are not super straightforward, I had to modify the Ford brackets on the calipers and we'll as modifying cables from the mustang. They work, but it's not something you can buy off the shelf.
what exactly needs adapting? Your set up seems to be the best I've stumbled upon in the last couple days. In need of new brakes asap haha. Thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Both front and rear calipers need adapter plates to bolt up to the stock knuckles. I finally found my CAD files for them, I'll upload them when I get home. Xometry is an online machine shop that I've used before to get stuff like this made, I think the plates were about $400 to get cnc machined. If you're ok without parking brakes you could do the rest for about the same amount and have way better brakes than stock for about $800.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Both front and rear calipers need adapter plates to bolt up to the stock knuckles. I finally found my CAD files for them, I'll upload them when I get home. Xometry is an online machine shop that I've used before to get stuff like this made, I think the plates were about $400 to get cnc machined. If you're ok without parking brakes you could do the rest for about the same amount and have way better brakes than stock for about $800.
ok so the calipers need adaptive plates, but the Mini's rotors will not need any adaptions?

81 - 100 of 101 Posts