MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I've noticed that quite a few people have changed the master cylinder or rebuilt them. Is this really necessary? Do the stock/original ones fail after a long time? I have stock brakes and haven't even bled the brakes yet since I bought my car and it brakes great.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have an n/a 1988 aw11 with a supercharged motor...

ATM its lucas pads with standard rotors and calipers aswell as dot 4 brake fluid.

Soon to come is ST185 GT4 single piston calipers and redrilled ST185 GT4 276mm discs

I was thinking of using either bendix ultimate or bendix metal king pads with dot 4 fluid and unknown brand japanese braided steel brake lines.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
I have an 86 with 4agze/E51 swap...
87+ rotors
Axxis Ultimate Organics up front
Axxis Metal Masters in rear
Valvoline Synpower brake fluid
Russell SS lines

I chose the organics up front in hopes of balancing the braking and boy does it work once the Metal Masters get warm in the back. During daily driving, the car stops well, but does lock the fronts on sudden stops. When running a nice road and using the brakes, the metal masters heat up and the car will suprise me a little by stopping so well. I really like it and I never have fade, but I dont run track days or anything.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
just go tme some dual piston front calipers from a late 80's AllTrac Celica... gonna rebuild them, and slap them on the front of my MR2... i'll let y'all know what they're like when i get them installed.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
well... i've changed my plans.

for those of us MKI MR2 owners that are on a budget, i've got a project in mind, that might help us get quite a bit more braking potential, while not destroying our wallets...

the ST165 has dual piston front calipers. i have a set, and have the spec sheet on the aw11 brakes. it bolts up perfectly, and need no modification on the part of the calipers or rotors.

and, from what i recall, the front calipers of the aw11 fit perfectly on the rear of the aw11... so, i'm going to see about slapping another set of St165 dual piston calipers on the rear (with 90 jetta gli rotors).

this means that i will also install a brake biasing controller (in cockpit).

this is just my mad scientist project... i dont know if anyone else has ever thought of doing this, or not...

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
The upgrade to the dual piston calipers with the stock size brake disk is great, if yor not planning on using the car on the track.

It's an EXCELLENT street upgrade, however, if your considering track use you must change the rotor size, thicker and/or larger diameter. (more rotor mass) The rotor size is pretty much the only defining factor in heat dissapation. Increased heat dissipation is what is needed for track use.

Some performance is gained with the use of air ducts but on some fast tracks there is still not enough rotor mass in the stock size pieces.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
with this specific upgrade, people like myself upgrade from the stock 85/86 front rotors to the 87+ front rotors, and from solid rears to ventilated rears from the 91 jetta gli...

but, i understand that for a track, it just wouldnt be enough.

then again, the 'massive' upgrade to the gt4 calipers, still uses of the same overall diameter, but they're much thicker (ie. shaved gt4 rotors).

so, while that is an upgrade, the rotor surface area, isnt much larger than the stock 87+ rotor surface area.

·
Registered
587 Posts
just went to the local autozone today and ordered my alltrac calipers for my MR2. Only gave $43 each for them! Killer deal! everyone else wanted almost $80 each! Should be in on Wednesday so I will let yall know when i get them on the car.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hey guys,
1988 JDM AW11 Supercharger
APP braided lines
DBA front Slotted Rotors
(I belive) Acre Pads all round.
Stock Rear Rotos
Stock calipers

Stops well, i love the pads, im not sure if they are ACRE, but judging from the colour I think t hey are, they are great too! (Car was imported from japan a few months back)

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
ae101 gze, any more insight into your setup? I'm looking for a relatively cheap brake upgrade, I warped a set of napa rotors in less than a week... I use my brakes like a maniac.. I was thinkin the celica upgrade, but I want to be able to fit into some stock wheels.. 15s at most.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Chrys007 said:
ae101 gze, any more insight into your setup? I'm looking for a relatively cheap brake upgrade, I warped a set of napa rotors in less than a week... I use my brakes like a maniac.. I was thinkin the celica upgrade, but I want to be able to fit into some stock wheels.. 15s at most.
Sorry 4 the late response.

Only thing i dit was machine down the rotors. The where 275 and now the are 265. That's the only thing, the rest is just bolt on. Even the center hole is 54mm.

·
Registered
128 Posts
stock

stopping on stock brakes
with ceramic pads from kargens
just bleed the old fluid and this things stops on a dime

dang i need some new rotors soon, any good recommendations guys?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've gone through a few variations over the last year on my '87 SC to get a brake setup which can cope with regular track use.

First trackday ( Elvington ) was done with standard pads and disks - lots of fade toward the end of each session ( 10 - 15 mins ) and a very long pedal by the end of the day

2nd day ( Anglesey ) was done with grooved disks from WMS all round, EBC greenstuff on the front and standard pads on the rear. Also fitted Goodridge hoses and filled with DOT5.1 fluid. Still a little fade, especially at the hairpin ( 95mph down to 30ish )

3rd outing ( Anglsey again ) had swapped to Pagid pads all round. Much better with very little fade. Kept this setup for another day at Elvington, when mega fade set in during the latter half of the day. Turned out the front pads had almost worn out - after only 500 miles :eek:

Replaced the front pads with EBC Redstuff, and was amazed at how good they performed during two visits to Croft and another trip to Anglesey. An outing to Oulton Park finally finished them off, along with the Pagid rears.

Decided to try reverting to plain disks to try and reduce the wear rate - a day at Cadwell Park last Sunday showed that braking performance is unimpaired by losing the grooved disks, with no fade apparent from the Redstuff front pads and Greenstuff rears. Too early yet to assess wear rate though.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Here's my setup = Premium NAPA Rotors (F/R) & EBC Green Stuff all around = $150 total and GOD DAM! I'm Happy with the results :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
does anyone know what calipers will fit over an 11 rotor? i know deno is running wilwoods but i dont have the money for them.. maybe i can make the corrado caliper fit?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Rebuilt calipers - rebuilt by me using Toyota rebuild kits :caliper:
Power slot rotors
Porterfield R4S pads :brakepads:
Goodrich SS brake lines
Castrol GTSomthingSomething Dot4 fluid

A friend who has had the opportunity to drive his uncles Ferrari 360 spider on several occasions told me after driving my car that it (my car) has better break feel and stopping power than his uncles Ferrari.

I went with a SS line on the clutch as well. I figured they are all almost twenty years old, might as well replace them all at the same time.

61 - 80 of 101 Posts