MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
basically i have too much time on my hands. i have become annoyed seeing the same questions posted again and agian in the suspention and brakes forum. i have decided to remedy this at least partly by trying to make a fairly complete reference page for mk1 brakes.

what i'm looking for is: what is you're brake set up? i.e. what pads rotors etc.
what brake products have you personally used? your thoughts on all brake products that you have tried. what you feel needs to be done to the mk1 to make it brake better. basically you commonts on mk1 braking. i will note that i am not so much interested in heavily custom or modified braking system but feel free to brag.

·
WWW.TECHNICALGARAGE.COM
3,626 Posts
I have an 1987 mr2 and I installed these
all around napa solid rotors
all around axxis metal master brake pads
flushed old brake fluid and added new DOT 4 brake fluid
installed new master cylinder
I love the way my mr2 brakes and have no regret

·
Registered
14,004 Posts
87 SC, stock pads and rotors and calipers. Actually, I have only used stock brake parts on all my cars.

I have yet to install the High & Tight Brake bar.

I am sticking this thread for a bit.

·
Registered
190 Posts
bill just likes his struts backwards...........hey i want a set of the coilovers........

I will be looking into a woods special of celica brakes.......

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Fronts
295 x 25 mm vented rotors
AP Racing 5108 4 psiton calipers
Pagid RS42 pads

Rear
280 x 20 mm rotor
Spyder calipers
Pagid pads

Stops on a dime and makes .06 change, no fade, ever, no matter how many laps I run, or how many stops from 120mph

·
Registered
64 Posts
Russell SS lines
ATE Blue (for the same reason as Kirk)
Axxis Metal Master Fronts
Axxis Ultimate Rears
Ebay slotted/X-drilled rotors
Fresh hone/rebuild kit on all 4 calipers

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Had to modify them, but they accept thicker vented rotors and that was my goal.

I'll have the AP front brake kits available again as soon at the parts are in from the CNC shop

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
The s/c is stock, but its doesn't move, so there's no need for brakes. ;)

The 20v has stock rears, wanna buy some stickier pads, also waiting to buy some new rotors all around. The fronts are ST165 All-trac celica dual piston calipers w/ stock rotors and pads. SS lines all around.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
kirkosaurus said:
you don't need big honkin' heavy brakes if you don't have a big honkin' heavy car.

My mentor:

I'd have to agree... I drove a Sport 190 Elise, then the new Toyota powered one back to back at Blackhawk farms raceway last year, and their brakes are well balanced for the stock power.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts