MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my car started acting up today, I havent really had a chance to look at it, planning on lookin at it later this week...

anways its a 91t td06, $nocash$ modded stock mani with 38mm tial gate(10psi spring) with a greddy ic kit, fuel cut is elminated by pulling vac hose.

its been running fine off the 10psi spring, but i know for a fact my timing has been off for the past 2 months(isnt my daily driver tho)...so anyways, it was boosting fine all day yesterday and today i went with a friend to get some food, boosted fine, then i get back into it after drive on the highway for about 30min, get off and i try to boost, after about 2psi it starts to cut off and the car bucks back and forth with no power at all, i didnt even try to keep pushing it for fear of screwing my car...so any ideas? could a leak in my IC cause this? maybe could i have a torn coupling line? I know your car can buck when the timing is off, but its been fine like this for the past 2 months( i know i need a timing light!) ...also it drives perfect in any rpm range, just as long as you dont get into boost.

the td06 was rebuilt maybe 8 months ago by majestic turbo..hopefully this doesnt mean the turbo is bad.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
You could be bucking because of the knock response system. I can't believe you didn't set the ignition timing before you boosted. Bad boy! That's your first order of business. Realize that if it's too advanced, you might have damaged something. Use the BGB procedure to set the timing.

If it still drives like crap but doesn't buck anymore after setting the timing, then do a compression test.

I seriously doubt your turbo is bad unless you see burned oil (blue, stinky smoke).

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know, im an idiot, well we set the timing, maybe you can help me...when you put the thing on the first spark plug we actually put it on the 4th wire...haha, what exactly would this do to my timing?

i cant imagine i would mess anything up if it still drives fine, just doesnt boost good...it seemed to run perfect until i hit boost, even at 4k+ rpm's...

at least i hope i didnt screw anything up, i should have timed it off the 1st plug...im an idiot

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
If you set it off the 4th cylinder, then you would be so far off that it wouldn't run right at all.

You did short TE1 and E1, right?

I would redo this. Something isn't right here. Let me know if this fixes the problem and we will go from there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts