MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I'm on stock clutch, *installed in the summer of 2004*, and with CT20B, 1.15bar of boost, Trust IC, 3" dp, N1 exhaust, Apexi Intake, and SARD ECU, the clutch seems to be doing fine.... im not sure what rwhp that is rated at, maybe a range of 250 to 265? somewhere in the region, hth.

- Nathan

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
it may not slip at those torque levels, however it wont take the abuse of racing for long. if it were teh case, then everyone maxing stock fuel will have it instead of the specII or other.

in its defense, i believe J&H pulled out a couple 12 runs on his stock clutch

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
well, i may not be abusive to my clutch, but it's put up with a LOT of racing type situations... lol i managed to defeat a number of EVOs on this clutch launching, and i do a lot of AutoX on it. If you have the skill to finesse your clutch use, I believe it will be able to deal with the upper end of the CT20B's power limits... if you go bigger than 20B, like GT28RS for example, i'd go w/ something else.

EDIT: though in light of what BOZ is saying, whenever i end up replacing my clutch, i will most likely go with a lightened flywheel + spec clutch setup. :)

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
My stock clutch slips sometimes when I do hard taking off. I think it would be ok with light mods.
JDMR2TT

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
im willing to bet it'd last quite a while if you never launched it hard and you shifted properly... shifting hard would probably be harder on the transmission than on the clutch...

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
speedshifting (not lifting off throttle) is hard on the tranny. Slipping/feathering the clutch on a launch is harder on the clutch. Dropping the clutch is harder on the tranny.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
to throw in my experience, my stock clutch bought the farm on my very first launch ever. after around 170K miles with an upgraded turbo at 1.2bar, DP, and intake. very first launch. but i know my mr2 had a rough life before i found it.

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
so you had 170k miles on that clutch? doens't really sound surpsing. mine has about 135K, planning to have a specII on the way cause i'm expecting mine to crap out on me at the track next month

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
it really wasn't that surprising. i just expected a little warning. before i took it to the strip, it was running fine; no slipping, no noise, just great. one launch-no clutch anymore. oh well. already replaced it, now, so this is just for the archives!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well I am planning on an ATS CT27 turbo kit upgrade (tuned ECU ROM 550cc injectors, upgraded fuel pump etc) a Greddy/HKS IC (or that less costly version being talked about on this forum), ATS downpipe, APEX intake, and KORacing exhaust. I already have an EBC and PROFEC B installed.

I was thinking of using an Exedy full face organic clutch and lightweight flywheel. Would this be ebough to take those power levels? Im not planning on running drag slicks or even radials.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Nateness said:
im willing to bet it'd last quite a while if you never launched it hard and you shifted properly... shifting hard would probably be harder on the transmission than on the clutch...
well I'd think it'd only be hard on the tranny if the clutch actually grabbed ;) if it can't grab, then doesnt mean much :)

tho I guess we're all talking different levels of powers at which it'll last... 250 it'll last just fine but what about 400?

I guess tho, if you're going to launch at any power level, plan on upgrading. Past that... plan on it but doesn't hurt to wear out the stocker first :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts