MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ya how deep of a driver can you ffit in the stock speaker holes? the speakers im looking at are 2.38 inches deep, would i need to make a lil spacer ring for em or will they fit?

also

how do i mount my speakers? the ones im gonna get are 4 holes, the door has 3 holes what do i do?

ey uhh got a question, ok in the faq it says the stock speakers a 5 1/4, and i just measured and the speakers are 6.5 wtf?

in order to fit 5.25's wouldnt u need to make a spacer type thing?

·
They call me LUCKY!
4,923 Posts
2.38 will fit yo ujust neet to want teh magnet size there is a window track that is real close inthere so something too big will not fit

4 holes..... predrill and make 4 holes or you can be fancy and make a spacer ring that will mount to the orig 3 hole and them mout your 4 hole speaker to that

most 6.5" speakers/drivers will work fine

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
drill my own holes into the door?

i need to Want the magnet size? or watch?

the stock speaker was 6.5 inches, so wouldnt a 5.25 just like fall through the hole? what are some good full range (around 30khz) 6.5 inche speakers

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
Pay for quality, not name
2,026 Posts
Bboy_Jon said:
i dont really wanna have to make a spacer. also the stock speaker is 6.5 inches so how could they be 5.25 (according to the faq)
As far as I am aware, stock speakers are 5.25. Unless someone put in aftermarket speakers in there already you should have 5.25's in there.

·
They call me LUCKY!
4,923 Posts
the cone dia is the 5.25 or whats refrenced to a 5.25 the opening is big enough for a 6.5 wiht no issues.
upgrade to the 6.5 you will be pleased

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well ya the hole in the door is like 5 inches, but the speaker is 6.25

how are those alpine and pioneers i linked like 3 posts up

·
They call me LUCKY!
4,923 Posts
they should do you well
i have not used them so i cant say i will back both brands tho i have used there products in the past

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so which should i get, the pioneers are cheaper, have a smaller mounting depth and have a larger frequency

both go to 30khz, but the alpine goes to 35hz and the pioneers go to 30hz.

so ya which is generally better, pioneers or alpines?

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I have some speakers for sale if your interested. They are boston SX50 5.25's and they are components. They should be comparable or better than what alpine has to offer.

http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=161906

I also have a set of Boston SL60's 6.5" for sale which are very nice speakers. However, I would not recommend them unless you are planning to get an aftermarket amp to power them.

Anyway, I've spent the last few months basically researching nothing but car audio, so if you have any questions feel free to contact me. Even if you dont want my speakers.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Also, dont worry about the lowest frequency they can go. Thats what subwoofers are for. Midrange speakers arent very good at anything under 100hz or so anyway, so even if they could vibrate at that frequency it would probably be inaudible. You need an enclosure to make low frequency sounds, and the door isnt exactly a proper enclosure. However with some money and time and you can make it one.

Do you have a premium audio system with a subwoofer?

·
Rocket Scientist
1,698 Posts
I took some measurements off the stock trim rings, just so we have all the data in one place:

Trim ring hole diameter: 4-1/8"
Bolt circle of the stock speakers: 4-11/16" (4 bolts)
Door hole diameter: 5-1/8" (trim ring removed)
Trim ring/door hole bolt circle 6-3/8" (3 bolts, NOT evenly spaced)

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nah i dont have the premium system :) (which im happy of because i wont have to rewire )

ok so since i measured about 5 inches, my trim ring is already removed? and my speakers were mounted with 3 bolts

so does that mean my speakers were replaced and arent stock?

so i should probly get those pioneers, since they have holes to use 3 screws?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-3fq9l9q7LL9/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=52000&I=130TSA1671

check the large pics

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
dont buy off crutchfield. They are about twice as expensive as what you would get off of ebay or for sale somewhere else. Plus pioneers arent very good.

Does the non premium sound system have tweeters?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ya the non premium has tweeters, it just doesnt have a sub

ya i wanna buy off crutchfield for the support and warranty but i never will mainly because its seriously a crap load more expensive then ebay. My HU was worth 250 at crutchfield and best buy and everywhere else, ebay had it for 160 :)

o i just used crutchfield to show the specs, ive linked to them on ebay a few posts up

well the subs im gonna get are premier (pretty much pioneer)

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4061_90400838,00.html

so should i get the alpines then?

i need something thats not component, has a mounting depth small enough to fit in the door, 6.5 inch and has tweeters and can get around 30khz

what are some good stuff?

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Why do you want something that is not a component? A component will sound 10x better than a coaxial.

And like I said before, no matter what speaker you have, you probably arent going to get the speaker to make 30hz sounds. Even if the speaker is physically capable to do it, your door is not a proper enclosure. I'm not sure why you want to go so low anyway if you are getting subwoofer. Also, if at all possible keep the door speakers from producing anything under 80hz. Without an amp, you are running on very little power. I dont know what the stock wattage is but I would bet its between 15-20w. It should run ok like this on higher frequencies, but if you are trying to get any bass out of a speaker running on 15 watts its going to distort very very quickly. (I'm running 250w per speaker, and I could use more)

You can get high pass crossovers on ebay for really cheap that should do the job. If you are amplifying the speakers the amplifier should have that option as well.

With those subwoofers do you have any plans for a box? Even though its a slim design, it still is a 12" sub and requires a decent amount of enclosure space. If you are planning to stick it behind the seat keep in mind that with any box with more than 0.50 sq. ft. you are going to lose reclining room. You need double that for that subwoofer. Not to mention if you arent going to amp the regular speakers you wont even be able to hear them over the subwoofer. My best recommendation here is to buy this guys (http://mr2oc.com/showthread.php?p=1647295#post1647295) MR2 Specific subs he is selling. Dont be put off by a sub only because its an 8". MR2's arent big cars and you could probably throw 175 at those. Even one of them should make plenty of bass. Trust me when I say it will make enough bass to completely cover the main speakers if you wanted too.

I'm not trying to tell you what to do here, but I have learned from my mistakes and would like to keep others from making those.

I wouldnt worry about mounting depth. If it doesnt fit make a spacer out of wood. Simple as that.

Kosan: I'd actually be happy to do it if you really wanted me too. I'm not pro by any means but I know my way around.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
how are these

http://cgi.ebay.com/PAIR-DIAMOND-AU...ryZ18799QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

mounting depth maybe a lil too big

well i want components, but i kinda dont wanna go through the trouble of hooking it upo and id need to buy a new amp, find a place to mount it and stuff

for 12s, i calculated all id need is like a 15inch or so tall box, max depth 7 or whatever, and then the max width which i can do

i dont really mind reclining all the way i just wanna be able to slide the seats

i dont really want 30hz, i dont care how low the speakers go, i want them to be around 30 KHZ.

would 2 8's feel the same as 2 12s? i wanna feel some pain in my ass and back

also would it be possible to take out those 2 storage compartments? so then i could build a box in its place

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i think i may be able to fit my 12s behind the seat

ill lose some reclining room but its no big, i can still slide all the way

basically, my subs need about .9 cuft for spl

and if the box is about 15x18x7.5 or whatever and i have enough

musical is about 1.3 so its pretty close, i think itll work

would they tear the car up though?

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
would what tear up the car? the subs? everything would probably rattle, but it wont hurt the car. Btw that volume of that box you just gave me is .77sq feet. It really would be best to find a sub that is properly suited for the box you are going to put in it. A 12" in a box too small for it wont sound as good as a 10" with the proper size. Even that 8w3v2 (the link i showed you) will be enough to drown out the front speakers.

Are you actually looking for sound quality or just alot of bass? Even a cheap 50w x 2 amp will do wonders.

You wouldnt need a new amp for components any more than you would need a new amp for a coaxial. I've heard good things about diamond speakers, but again you arent amping them. It says 120w recommended power, you'll be giving it 1/10th of it. They wont be happy.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts