MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I was wondering whats the easiest way to change the timing belt on my 91 turbo, or for that matter, to do anywork on that side of the engine? Its very limited on what space you have.

Andrew

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
All but one time that I changed or had the timing belt off the engine (about 5 times now), I had the engine out of the car. The one time that I didn't take the engine out - it took almost as long and I scraped the back of my hands raw.

If you do change the belt by taking out the engine, change the water pump, oil pump, thermostat, HFH, and HFHOE as well.

·
Registered
557 Posts
By far the easiest way is to write a check.

Kidding aside, now that I've taken the cam gears off and on 4 times and done the oil pump seal, I would change it in the car. Taking the motor out entails a lot more work.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
SpyderVenom said:
All but one time that I changed or had the timing belt off the engine (about 5 times now), I had the engine out of the car. The one time that I didn't take the engine out - it took almost as long and I scraped the back of my hands raw.

If you do change the belt by taking out the engine, change the water pump, oil pump, thermostat, HFH, and HFHOE as well.
Does everybody chang the oil pump when doing the timing belt? -Wade-

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
To change the oil pump with the timing belt removed is only 12 10mm bolts. I regret not doing it when I did my belt since the drive bolt on the pump snapped less than 500 miles later. When I did my belt, I also replaced the belt tensioner so the extra tension might have had something to do with it.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
It was... $129. I forgot that you also have to take the oil pan off, and to do that you need to take the oil level sensor out and part of the exhaust off. It's a little more involved than I remembered when I first posted. This is why the engine comes out when I work on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts