MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont get it. My air intake setup is different than my old 86. My 88 seems to go into the trunk. But whats the box in the engine bay below my battery? Another place for a filter? And why doesnt the enclosed round box in the trunk have a filter?

·
Premium Member
10,360 Posts
IIRC the "box" in the engine bay is a heimholtz resonator( baiscally a silencer for the intake) You should have a filter in the air filter enclosure. Someone took it out.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
In case someone else looks for their resonator on their '87+ MR2, there were about 5 months 8/86 (beginning of the '87s) and 1/87 where there was no resonator from my research into part numbers. I know that both '87 NAs that I have that were built in 8/86 follow this. The short pipe does not have the T molded in to go the resonator.

Like paul said, the round box in the trunk should have a filter in it. The filter is different than the 85/86 model in case you had a leftover spare you were hoping to use.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how would i go about customising my own intake then. I took the whole setup i had on my 86. But now this is different. Can i go without that resonator?

·
Registered
8,745 Posts
Rip it all out and make a custom one with one of those side scoops as the intake. Its what I did in my 88 sc. Use an air filter housing out of an 85 300zx na. If you seal it up good you get some ram air going, and its cold air, not like those mushroom tip (<--dirty) kits.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Also understand that some devious Japanese engineer designed that Helmholtz resonator into the intake system probably to eliminate a real dip in the power curve. Remove it, but leave the option to be able to put it back in.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ill see what i can do. I like how the filter goes into the trunk tho. I dont have to worry about it getting wet like my other one. Ive been running that car without a filter sinse i friggn bought that thing too.... no wonder the engine's been bogging and shaking and crap.

·
Administrator
42,296 Posts
it was due to sound, not power. by the second revision of the MK1 MR2, the car was selling like hot cakes, but mainly to girlies and secretaries. Who were not into the performance sounds the 16v made. The complaint was the car made too much intake roar. These resonators changed the intake sounds for the better, at least for the normal consumer, which made up 90% of Toyota sales.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts