MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys... planning on doing the 1mzfe swap, and i'd like to kno whats the best manual box to use?
and what are the major problem areas with this swop.

thanks much guys.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
money is the major problem of any swap. For the most extreeme tranny setup would be a
E153 with +99 solara/camry gears with a quafie lsd.

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
yeah most do a turbo tranny with a lsd to it. I havent ran a s54 tranny on mine so I couldent tell you how thats like, I'd assume that the reasion why most go to the E153 is becuase of the gearing change as well as it's easier to source a lsd for it vs the s54. Either way I'd recommend getting one

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
IMO, no available Toyota tranny is "best" for a 1MZ in the MR2. The gearing on the E153 was suited for 2 engines in 2 separate cars: 1) a V6 in a 3300lb car, and 2) a turbocharged I4 in a ~2800lb car.

Both have different powerbands, so naturally, Toyota tweaked the transmission to fit both setups. BUT, those setups aren't the "best" for a 1MZ in an MR2. You have the wide powerband of a V6 in a 2600-2800lb car, with the gearing of either of the 2 setups above.

So, neither is best, especially if you supercharge the 1MZ.

The S51 is a good option too, but not ideal either. I would take the S54 out of the picture totally, unless you use a different differential ratio like the S51's 3.944 or a 3.74 from a Celica All-Trac.

You have two choices:
S51 (3.944 or lower) with LSD, or
E153 (3.933 or lower) with LSD

Or:
You can modify the differential ring gear and output shaft to match the weight and power output of the car and engine. $$$.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mmmm guys... take your time with me plz. lol!
well what i have avaliable to me is a turbo gear box.
should that be able to bolt up to the engine?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey.. another question,
i wuold have to buy the housing for the 1mz wouldnt i?
the mr2 box housing cant work.... can it?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
The Turbo tranny should bolt right up, and you can use a v6 Camry manual transmission flywheel. For a clutch disk & pressure plate you can use either stock Camry or stock MR2 turbo parts (a number of places like partsamerica.com list the same part number for both cars).

If you are starting with an NA car and changing to a turbo tranny you will need to change your wheel bearings inn the rear and also replace your dive axles with turbo units.

·
Registered
327 Posts
kerosxlahvnhugz said:
IMO, no available Toyota tranny is "best" for a 1MZ in the MR2. The gearing on the E153 was suited for 2 engines in 2 separate cars: 1) a V6 in a 3300lb car, and 2) a turbocharged I4 in a ~2800lb car.

Both have different powerbands, so naturally, Toyota tweaked the transmission to fit both setups. BUT, those setups aren't the "best" for a 1MZ in an MR2. You have the wide powerband of a V6 in a 2600-2800lb car, with the gearing of either of the 2 setups above.

So, neither is best, especially if you supercharge the 1MZ.

The S51 is a good option too, but not ideal either. I would take the S54 out of the picture totally, unless you use a different differential ratio like the S51's 3.944 or a 3.74 from a Celica All-Trac.

You have two choices:
S51 (3.944 or lower) with LSD, or
E153 (3.933 or lower) with LSD

Or:
You can modify the differential ring gear and output shaft to match the weight and power output of the car and engine. $$$.
I agree completely about the gearing. I've got a late model e153 out of a 1999 Solara V6 and while I like the shift quality and the fact that it has provisions for a cooler, I wish the gearing was a tad bit longer. 1st gear is just about useless and would only be aggravated by any power adders and 2nd gear bogs a bit below 2000rpm. It would also be nice to drop the engine speed in 5th gear from 3000rpm to about 2500rpm when traveling at 75mph. If someone made a lower ratio final drive gear (say 3.43) that would be a nice compromise. Plus the taller gearing means I could make better use of 2nd gear on short tracks like Buttonwillow.

I'm going to try to "bandaid" the problem by running larger tires (225-50-15) and see if that helps the street drivability.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
and how much hp does the 2mz make, and how much does it weigh?
sorry for all these questions, but i've been searching and cant find it

thanks!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Chiney_Dolly said:
can the tranny for the 2mz fe fit the turbo gearbox?
Chiney_Dolly said:
and how much hp does the 2mz make, and how much does it weigh?
sorry for all these questions, but i've been searching and cant find it

thanks!
2MZFE? What country do you live in?

·
1991/2001 V6 Mr2 #8
2,235 Posts
Chiney_Dolly said:
o lord! lol

this is alittle harder than i thought. lol....
thanks much
What in the world made anyone think that the V6 swap is easy? You're putting in an engine that wasnt available in the mr2... Of course there is difficulty to it. Labor is the hardest part!

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
The 2MZ makes around 200PS or 196hp, with around 180lb-ft of torque. It has VVT-i. Unlike the 2VZ 2.5L, the 2MZ shares the basic short block with the 1MZ. The bore and stroke were reduced slightly.

I don't know much about it, other than it was the first MZ to receive VVT-i back in 1997 or 1998.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
i thought the bore on the 2mz were the same except for the stroke and i never knew it was vvti. thats gonna bring headache if you plan to do some boosting

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
no i knew it was not going to be easy... never said it was gonna be, but i didnt kno that many things had to be changed. i've already gotten a quote on how much its gonna be to put it in.

how muck does the 2mz weigh, does anyone kno?

·
Registered
327 Posts
2MZFE looks to be the 2.5L version of the 3.0L 1MZFE available in the US market. We never got the 2MZFE. It probably weighs around 400lbs, which will be slightly less than the 3SGTE.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thank you...
cause i'm worried about handeling, i would have thought it weighed much more.
i found a 1mz out here (jamaica) but the guys was selling it for the same price i bought my ca for... and i dont think i was gonna do that! lol
the 2mz is vvti?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts