MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just registered for the Solo2 SCCA event. First time member.

Wondering what class will my car classify.

I am running stock 15 wheel/tire combination, Tein coilover/mount, Minor engine stuff ct20b/boost control, dp/exhaust. 95 brake/suspension system update w/stock LSD. I know I cant run as stock.

Maybe Novice? :) What to expect?

·
Master of Twos R Us
21,767 Posts
Novice is a regional thing. If your region has it, use it.

You're easily in one of the mod classes....

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Id say SM2

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is'nt SM2 for unlimited modifications? I only got the coilover and the ct20 is a stock interchange turbo that looks like ct26.

·
Master of Twos R Us
21,767 Posts
That's the problem with modifying your car. A lot of the time, it's only one small thing that bumps you into class where you will never be competitive.

Changing out turbos is a huge no-no if you don't want to end up in an unlimited type class.

·
Master of Twos R Us
21,767 Posts
It's actually a very good system. You just have to decide what you want to do in Solo before you decide to compete. If you just want to have fun, ignore the classing and go have fun. If you want to be competitive, consult the rules before you make any changes.

I ran ASP my fist full year in Solo and my only mod to the car was a K/N FIPK. I read the rules, I found out that I had made a change not allowed in stock, and I accepted the consequences.

The mods he has listed will make that a very fun and competitive car in the right hands.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
David Hawkins said:
That's the problem with modifying your car. A lot of the time, it's only one small thing that bumps you into class where you will never be competitive.

Changing out turbos is a huge no-no if you don't want to end up in an unlimited type class.
David,

The ct20 is stock looking as the ct26. Who will know I have a ct20? Unless I let them know. :) By the way I have you're bushings and endlinks too.

I think in terms of competitiveness, I will have fun and explore the capability of the car and the driver instead. Anyway thats my purpose.

·
Master of Twos R Us
21,767 Posts
toymr1 said:
David,

The ct20 is stock looking as the ct26. Who will know I have a ct20? Unless I let them know. :)

I think in terms of competitiveness, I will have fun and explore the capability of the car and the driver instead. Anyway thats my purpose.
That's the type of stance that can sour a good discussion in a hurry. People who compete in these venues have a responsibility to themselves and their fellow competitors to keep things as level as possible. A big part of this is not skirting the rules. Anyone who knows MR2s will be able to spot the turbo replacement without much investigation.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
David Hawkins said:
That's the type of stance that can sour a good discussion in a hurry. People who compete in these venues have a responsibility to themselves and their fellow competitors to keep things as level as possible. A big part of this is not skirting the rules. Anyone who knows MR2s will be able to spot the turbo replacement without much investigation.
I certainly got you're point. Eveybody should have fun. :smile:

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Don't worry.. I am in SM2 also ;)

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
toymr1 said:
What mods put you on SM2?
hehehe.

Well I have an 89 mk1 originally SC'd.. converted to turbo

Here's the mod list:

*ENGINE*
Turbo system:
Garrett GT28RS (.64 ar turbine)
Tial 50mm BOV
Speed Source Turbo Manifold
Custom A2W Intercooler setup
Custom 2.5" exhaust and DP

bottom end:
Custom 9.0:1 forged pistons
Carillo Formula Atlantic Rods
Sleeved GZE block 81.5mm
ARP everything
TRD coated bearings
TRD oil pump
TRD CF head gasket

valve train:
KK108E Cams (258? duration, 10mm lift)
Fidanza cam gears
TRD valve springs
TED components +1mm oversized SS valves

Fuel
Walbro 255 lph fuel pump
550cc/min injectors

engine management
Hydra Nemesis 2
EMS controlled Boost, TVIS, water injection

Misc:
9" marine oil cooler in place of OEM
remote filter system
AN fittings and steel braided lines on critical fluids

SUSPENSION
Custom welded ground control coilovers
400lb rear and 250lb front spring rates
16x7 Rotas with 215/45/16 Azenis

:) Marco

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
LOL.. actually I havent run autoX since I was in ASP with my 88SC (which would now be in CSP). But I plan on running this car in SM2 as soon as it's ready.

Marco

·
Registered
761 Posts
Well you aren't gonna have much competition in the novice classes, especially in the higher classes. Most of them are usually in the same boat as you. Unless some competitive SM2 guy lets a newbie co-drive his car for the season, you shouldn't be worrying about being competitive at all.

And yes everyone is out there to have fun, but some people have more fun by winning fairly. And people don't really care about the illegal mods in your car unless you are beating them with it. Its up to responsibility of the driver to correctly place their car in the right class, sort of like an honor system. I hate to say it, but if your MR2 Turbo with ct26 and coilovers was allowed to run in ASP instead of SM2, you still wouldn't be competitive, you still got Porsche GT2s and Z06s in there. Then again, this is the regional level, where anybody can win.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
lol.. I'd almost rather be in SM2 than in ASP.

ASP, as said before, has modified GT2s and Z06's, etc...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts