MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you all have in your frunk. I dont have really anything. Im taking the car to GA the end of March and was planning on using the frunk for storage, and just saying screw a spare, maybe get some of those fixaflat things. But does anyone else go without a spare or do you all live on the safe side?

·
Registered
435 Posts
spares are overrated. I have a 12 disc changer and an amp in my frunk. However, that was all put it there before I bought the car. I have blown every single one of my tires at least once and have needed a spare. Ive towed my car multiple times. That only happened because i had dayton z tires I think. They sucked. I have yet to have a toyo proxy blow out on me.

·
Premium Member
5,587 Posts
Fixaflat stuff is worthless, IMHO. That stuff never worked for me.

Spare tires are like seatbelts -superfluous until you need them, and then, boy do you need them.

Personally, I don't like to drive without one. A year and a half ago I had a gf who blew out a tire on her Z-3, and those cars don't have a spare and instead rely on "run-flat" tires. Point is, it took us 6 hours to get the car towed to a shop, which didn't have the tire, and we had to wait 2 days for one to be airborne expressed to the shop. We could have at least been on the road after 15 minutes to get to where we needed if we had the spare. Instead, we were at least 6 hours away from a rental car.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Wheels said:
spares are overrated. I have a 12 disc changer and an amp in my frunk. However, that was all put it there before I bought the car. I have blown every single one of my tires at least once and have needed a spare. Ive towed my car multiple times. That only happened because i had dayton z tires I think. They sucked. I have yet to have a toyo proxy blow out on me.
i have had 2 toyo's blow on me but thats becuase i forgot to keep tabs on them, but one thing is for sure i will go no where unless i have a spare. i plan on buying another rim just so i have a full size spare

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
*Water injection reservoir
*CraneCams Vac reserve tank for the brakes
*Line Lock
:D

*Fire suppression tanks (eventually)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Tparrotte said:
What do you all have in your frunk. I dont have really anything. Im taking the car to GA the end of March and was planning on using the frunk for storage, and just saying screw a spare, maybe get some of those fixaflat things. But does anyone else go without a spare or do you all live on the safe side?
i just have some tools, glass cleaner and some brake fluid. i think their might also be a couple quarts of oil and a can of seafoam, but i dont have my spare in there. in fact, i'm not even sure where my spare is now that i think about it

·
Premium Member
13,226 Posts
spare, jack, quart of oil, emergency kit (jumper cables, some basic tools, a few other random things).

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I keep one of the stock rims in there. Or in winter, one of my 17s.

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
i have SHOES!!! haha, i'm too lazy to drag around my shoes for different occasions, so i have my work/dress/basketball shoes in there and my casuals at home

also have the toyota jack and spare in there

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Boz said:
i have SHOES!!! haha, i'm too lazy to drag around my shoes for different occasions, so i have my work/dress/basketball shoes in there and my casuals at home

also have the toyota jack and spare in there
LOL!!! i have the same exact thing! i have some junk\work on car shoes and then the jack and spare tire.

oh and an electric car buffer and some wax :evillaugh

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
OEm jack/lug wrench kit, spare. I will not ever rely on a fix-a-flat, and the only time I run without a spare would be locally when I have contact with someone who could bring a spare tire. On any road trip I will have one.

Then I added:
part of a container of premixed coolant to my spec
quart of Mobil 1
some opened brake fluid
funnel
partial roll of paper towels
pry bar (used twice already)
This stuff is in a small bag for easy removal:
Screwdrivers
cheapie socket set with the basics
a couple extensions
a few common wrenches
some fuses (never had to use one)
battery cleaner
flashlight with good batteries
wire stripper and/or utility knife
a couple hose clamps for heater hose, rad hose, and maybe an intake clamp in the boosted cars
pliers/snips
jumper cables (if driven in cold weather)
compact fire extinguisher (traded between cars depending on seasons)
spare taken-off replaced belts that are still useable in a pinch
sometimes a wiper blade if I took one off still in OK shape.
old taken off dist cap/rotor if functional
maybe a set of old wires

...and I still manage to fit a small cooler, shoes, and maybe other misc bag or two in there for trips in the Mk1. The mk2 has the more basic supplies since I haven't owned it as long and haven't accumulated the full kit.

·
Registered
409 Posts
fuel cell filled with water for my a2w intercooler and uhmm.... yeah on occassion a 6 pack ad some ice.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have some break fluid.. and powersteering fluid.. I have Yokohoma tires and have never had a flat.. (4 yrs) I do not keep a spear in the frunk.. I just call someone to bring me one of my (extra) four Stock rims and tires.. (what would I do without my cell phone :rolleyes: )

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Whats in your FRUNK?

Spare tire (don't leave home without it) OEM jack, nylon tow strap, small plastic craftsman tool box W/tools, Optima battery. a "X" lug wrench, empty one gallon plastic gas can. I try to travel as light as possible. I also try to keep my rear trunk as empty as possible. John

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hmm so a full size spare will fit in the frunk? I did not think one would, well with that knowledge I will have to put one of those in there. I will be driving the car to GA, so i didnt see the point of a spare really, becuase if something goes flat, there will not be a shop to get me new 18inch tires quickly :/ so full size spare will definitly be put in. My college stuff will be cut to a minimum tho thats for sure, only the stuff i can fit in the seat, and the trunk will be taken. Thanks for the info guys.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts