MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to Toyota to pick up some new lock cylinders for my doors, and the driver side is $55, where the passenger side is only $50. Is there something special about the driver side? They both light up, right? And the triggering mechanisms that say "the door is open" and "the handle is lifted" aren't in the lock cylinder. So why the difference in price?

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Cause toyota is wacked out on crack. :-D and acually if you think about it why would the passenger have a light on it. You normally don't get into the drivers side through the passenger side and also you mroe than likely have power locks.

So i guess toyota cut a corner and made the driver side have the light assuming you would use the power locks to open the passenger side. Not get out walk around and open it with your key.

·
Registered
930 Posts
billwot said:
The driver's side lock is also a switch that locks and unlocks the passenger door.

bill
My passenger lock does the same thing... If I unlock from the passenger side, the driver's side will also unlock. If I turn the key once on the driver's side, only the driver's door unlocks. However, if I turn the key twice, only then will the passenger door unlock as well. That probably doesn't help explaining the cost difference between the locks, but it's a cool feature to know about.

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
Jigglypuff said:
My passenger lock does the same thing... If I unlock from the passenger side, the driver's side will also unlock. If I turn the key once on the driver's side, only the driver's door unlocks. However, if I turn the key twice, only then will the passenger door unlock as well. That probably doesn't help explaining the cost difference between the locks, but it's a cool feature to know about.
But you cannot LOCK the driver's side from the passenger side, right?

So the driver's side still has an additional switch contact.

bill

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
The conventional wisdom is there is a dead spot on the armature. Personally, I have never accepted that theory, and frankly, I have never "fixed" a starter with a hammer.

If it actually works, I would be more inclined to believe there is a loose connection somewhere.

I have worked with thousands of electic motors in industry, including many DC motors, and have never had that experience.

bill

1 - 10 of 10 Posts