MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw an ad for an 87: "engine fine, no title, best offer or $500." It's within towing distance and I'm thinking about calling this weekend and offering as much as $200 if there are other useable parts.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
200 bucks, but the question is where did he obtain it and how come he doesn't have a title?

i doubt someone would post a stolen car in the paper, but i would def. run the VIN so you know that you aren't buying a stolen vehicle...

~mikeym

·
Registered
487 Posts
if it was a parts car in pretty crappy condition for cheap, by the time it went through a couple owners as a back-lot item, the title could be lost or just not worth getting to whoever owns it. if they dont ever plan to try to drive it again, it probably seems hardly worth the effort.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
I was lucky with my MR2; I got it in Rhode Island and they don't require titles for vehicles over 10 years old. Of course I had to get a title for it in MA, which was a rather annoying process. I'm not suggesting this, but you could probably hatch a clever ploy to pretend the car came from RI, and fake all the info. Just don't blame it on me if you get caught. :thumbup

·
Registered
881 Posts
One reason cars without titles are so cheap is city codes, who can change your priorities for you. But if you have a place to keep it preserved, and it is legally clean, I can see it being worth 300 if you need it to build out another. Really, an enterprising individual can make a lot of money, I imagine that the clip could be worth 300 to someone who needs it. I dream about being able to match original colors when a car sustains some sort of damage. To a person who has an otherwise nice original paint scheme, color matched parts are potentially worth even more. I think that good sheet metal is often worth more that engines or trannies. Just my .02... :)

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Hey seagondollar...long time no see :)

That kind of car can have value to anyone looking to build a race car as well since they do not need titles....

Good luck!
Coty

1 - 7 of 7 Posts