MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy a new steering wheel for my 2. I was wondering what sizes people are using here in millimeters. I had a momo on my corolla, but I sold the car with the wheel, so I never really paid attention to the size, which was perfect for me.
I was thinking 350mm. What size is the stock wheel? So it would be nice to hear from you guys to get an idea of the diameter of the steering wheels you're using

Thanks,

-Ben

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Go for a 320-330 range... I find the stock wheel horribly cumbersom after driving with a smaller momo for so long...

but at the same time, I had the opportunity to drive in a car with what I believe was a 300 (maybe even smaller god damn) and I felt like I was in a clown car :D

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your right, 350mm is about stock. stock is 14 inches and its 25.4 mm per inch...so tock is something like 355mm I had a chance to drive in my friends crx. Man that steering wheel was too small...300mm maybe. but I am gonna try 330 and see how that feels...that's about 13 inches. I'll see how that feels

·
Registered
532 Posts
Stock wheel is about 375mm (yuck). I like my 330mm!! It greatly enhances the driving experience. Much better feel and quicker reacting.

AN

·
Registered
665 Posts
I have the TRD wheel. I have forgotten the exact size but the smaller wheel is much better than my stock one. Not to mention looks way better :)

·
MK. II RACING
4,335 Posts
Well my 91T had about 14.75 inch wide steering wheel. I now have a Momo Corse in 350mm. Must say it is better than the stock one and just slightly smaller in diameter than a 94-95 steering wheel. A smaller diameter wheel will be more responsive and the smaller the diameter the more responsive. But, if you do not have Power steering option it will be harder to turn the wheel until you get moving. HTH

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
320mm is SMALL compared to the stocker. took me a while to get used to. it felt like i was steering the car with a bagel at first.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
jerzefigga said:
320mm is SMALL compared to the stocker. took me a while to get used to. it felt like i was steering the car with a bagel at first.
:lol:

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
i second sportscar-parts.com. fast shipping, great service. i use a momo mod31 320mm race wheel.

they come undrilled (these aren't the fancy road wheels, these are the suede wheels race teams use on real race cars). somehow they're cheaper than the road wheels too. mine was like $160 shipped. it feels nice, but i like a thicker grip. if i had it to do over, i'd get a Personal 320mm wheel. i have one by elevo on my talon (also 320mm) that cost about $35 on ebay but feels great (uses standard momo/sparco hub).

it's the "mega" model.

either are good choices IMO.

hey travis, looks like you need to pull the ECU-B fuse in the front fuse box and turn your airbag light off :D nice wheel BTW!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it felt like i was steering the car with a bagel at first.

that was funny..lol

How does the all suede feel vs. leather? it is a bit grippier right? Man, I wouldnt mind suede, but how do you clean it properly?

I got no power steering..so looks like its gonna be tougher to parallel. How much wieght do you lose without the pwr steering? does it rob and hp like front engine cars?

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
the suede really isn't any grippier, it just feels softer. i've never had to clean it. you have to keep in mind though that suede WILL wear in, meaning the parts where you usually hold the wheel will become shiny and not sueded anymore after a while. personally, i like it- it's like that old pair of hockey gloves that are just too comfortable to get rid of, but the wheel won't look like it did when it was new after a few months. (that's why most of the suede aftermarket road wheels actually have rubber on the parts that see the most use- so they don't wear in).

i have no power steering either. i don't have any problems with it. the biggest factor in how hard the car is to steer with manual steering is the offsets of your front wheels. the car had 18x8's on the front with +32 offset and it was a biotch to steer. i switched to 17x7's with a +43 offset and it's 100x easier to steer. stock wheels should be relatively easy. high offset aftermarket wheels will make things considerably harder as they increase scrub radius.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
oh, and if you're worried about losing cruise control, what i did was went to radio shack and bought a stereo headphone jack and plug. the cruise unit is only 3 wires, so i drilled about a 1/4" hole in the column cover and mounted the jack there, connected to the cruise harness.
the cruise lever itself was removed from the wheel and the wires lengthened a foot or so and wired to the stereo plug. whenever i want to use the cruise, i just plug it in and go. when i don't, it's not in the way. i had considered mounting it inside the column cover, but i don't think there's room. i'll have to take another look (that's how i relocated it in the talon).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts