MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if anyone knows what size are the common auto-x lots???? 2acres, 3,4,5. and so on... if you want it for a day for a car club how much is the price for 1 day use? what are the terms roughly? any info??????

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
it ALL varies.

one of our sites is $600 for a weekend for site rental only. Our other lot is 1300 per DAY.

Vastly different types of sizes too. The cheaper lot is an airport runway, I think its like 150' wide by something like 1500'. the other is a mini-road course type design.

talk to your local region about what they can afford to do, as far as attendence, insurance, etc etc.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Heh, if you're on Staten Island... good luck.

Our biggest local lot is 19 acres. For that we pay $1,000/day, which is a smokin' deal. Unfortunately, available dates are limited. So we also pay $1500 for a lesser quality, smaller lot ( 12 acres ). And occasionally $1250 for even worse lot ( 10 acres, rough as hell, great location and facilities ). Some lots, although none that are big enough for us anymore, are free or nearly so. One of the best lots in the midwest is only $250/day... unfortunately, it isn't very close to here.

We are in the process of opening a new site right now, which is two lots, one 15 acres and the other 13... but it'll cost $3K/day, and availability is very limited.

With respect to terms, it's usually "We agree to rent you this space, for our price. We have the right to cancel at any time. You are liable for everything, we are liable for nothing, and you must show us an insurance certificate for $X million in liability coverage." It takes about a 10-page contract to say that, but that's the gist of it. Liability requirements are usually in the $1 to 5 million neighborhood.

-Chief of Scheduling 'round here

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Our lots in Philly are around $1500 per day. There is one that's available for $3700 and the stadiums want $5000 plus we have to use their union labor for set-up, take down, and any electrical and wiring needs :screwy: .

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats crazy man!!!!!!! 5000$ !!!!!!!!!! shoot me and thats it..!!!!!!!!! the resone im asking is i want to get as much info as possible on this and im still doing some outside research on this, im looking around to buy land around 15-20 ares in jersey and drop black top on it and open a track for auto-x and drifting events for our region if evrything works out well my plan is to have it up and running for end of 2007. i was thinking about the prices too, i thought 2000$ on weekends and 1000-1500$ on weekdays. plus having free track time once a week for novice schools if the clubs willing to go for it. and much much more i got plan'd... what you guys think???? im i going at it the right way?

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
It is unbelieveably expensive to pave 15 to 20 acres with quality aspahlt
that'll stand up to the abuse you're talking about. Seven or eight figures.

Good luck though.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i thought it would not cost that much to pave it... i still havent got the numbers for it but i didnt think i would fall in to 7-8 figures.. i thought it would be like low 6.
thats one more thing i didnt look in to maintaning it.
ll i got so far was the land prices that are avilaible. thats why im asking and doing research. the more info the better.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
We're working with a site here that we've used for years, but needs to be re-paved. The owners
are estimating that'll cost around $600,000 just to lay another layer on top of their
existing base, and that's only about 12 acres. That's not doing any grading, or preparation,
or drainage.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
The cost of preparing and paving a lot large enough to autocross will run 7-8 figures. You may also run afoul of govt programs - that much paving requires water run-off and you may get grief from your neighbors from the noise.

·
Next Race 4/12/14
1,563 Posts
Finally something on this board that I know about. I'm a project manager for a highway contractor and I just ran some ball park numbers. Depending on your soil conditions your probably going to want something like 6" of stone base and 6" of asphalt. Here's what I came up with.

stone will be about $26,950 per acre
asphalt will be about $82,130 per acre
that's about $110,000 per acre x 15 = $1,650,000
and as mentioned above that doesn't count any grading work and a paved lot that size is going to need an extensive storm drain system. You could probably build a road course cheaper than you could build a parking lot that size.

·
Registered
283 Posts
actually we (the road racing and autocross comunity) need more forward thinking investors/ persons to improve the site situation. we are always looking for potential sites to race at because we never know when a good site will be lost for some reason or other. please; consult with the scca... find out all the info available on what is required for a good auto-cross site. get potential investors, businesses involved and build it (and they will come)!

the more irresponsible street racers doing their aggressive driving at controlled racing venues means saving lives!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts