MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got the right fitting to install my VDO oil gauge which I'm gonna do tomorrow. I searched for a little while and found pretty varried responses to this question. Right now I'm running 15lbs of boost. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
The answer is "it varies". Oil pressures heavily vary car-to-car. You will probably see something like 50 psi cold idle, 20 psi warm idle and 70 psi warm at redline.

If you see 10, start to worry, especially if it's reading 10 and your engine isn't idling.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool diagram bill. Thanks for the responses.

Any other tips about what to look for, practical application for using the gauge? The "70psi cold and 20psi warm" was what I was looking for. If the pressure drops really low, I suppose it could mean a lot of things......low oil? oil leak? And if it gets too high, some sort of restriction maybe?

Just curious exactly what different readings should be telling me. Thanks a lot guys

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
If it's too low, the far-and-away most common reason is your journal bearings are out of spec on the crank, connecting rods or the cam shafts.

If it gets around 10 psi warm idle (correct RPM), then I would worry.

I mainly use mine to see if I'm having problems. It's nice to monitor it on the dyno while tuning too, just to see if you are going to have problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts