MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probly a really noob question, but what makes an MkII worthy of the GT-S badge?

·
Registered
12,511 Posts
A Turbo.

In Japan/Europe (anywhere but north america I think) a turbo MR2 is a GTS

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
You sure? In an MR2 video between, at least what the poster said, a Gen II and a Gen III MR2, one ran a mid 13 and one ran a mid 14. The 13 sec one was the GT-S and the 14 second one was the GT. Seems quite odd that with over 66% more horsepower that you would only drop down one second in the 1/4. But maybe some piece of info about either of the cars or the video itself was incorrect. Also the video was in Japanese and looked like a test video between the two models, so I dont think it would be made false.

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
the GT is the earlier model turbo with the gen2 motor
the GT-S is the later model turbo with the gen3 motor

GT is rated at 200hp~225hp depending on the origin
GT-S is rated at 245hp

i'm not 100% positive if a gen4 3sgte ever made it into an sw20 from the factory but i've seen those rated up to 265hp, i believe these came in the caldinas.

if anything from what i said is wrong go ahead and correct me :) , i'm like 90% sure on these statistics.

·
Registered
12,511 Posts
Oh geez I think youre right.

The NA is the G-Limited
The Turbo is the GT and the latest gen turbo is the GTS.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting, because I am going to buy a clip here soon and i was looking at the pictures and it has a GenII motor but a GT-S badge.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I dunno what they were sold as in the states, but in japan:
GT = turbo with luxury options
GTS = base turbo (usually no t tops either)
they both have the same power as each other for the same model year.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
in japan chevy sold it under toyota. attain japan actually ran it in a touring style race like jgtc. trd also has a body kit for it. ahha

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
The explanation

You sure? In an MR2 video between, at least what the poster said, a Gen II and a Gen III MR2, one ran a mid 13 and one ran a mid 14. The 13 sec one was the GT-S and the 14 second one was the GT. Seems quite odd that with over 66% more horsepower that you would only drop down one second in the 1/4.
Here it is. The G or G limited cars came with a BEAMS 3S-GE in the later years (I think 97+). That motor puts out 200 horsepower and roughly 150-160 lb-ft torque. If you remember, our American 2nd gen 3S-GTE's put out 200hp/200lb-ft and ran 14.7's stock. I'm guessing that the drivetrain loss on the NA version is going to be lower than the turbo, due to it's lighter internal engine components and possibly revised transmission.

The 3rd gen 3S-GTE is rated at 245 hp and is found on the GT-S models. 245 hp is roughly 23% more hp than 200 hp (simple arithmatic). I say it's impressive that a 23% gain in HP yielded a full second faster quarter mile. Throw exhaust, intake, and a boost controller on the GT-S and you've got a low 13/high 12 second factory car. 350Z, eat your heart out.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
____ed up info above..

check out this link its for the 1997 gt and gts:
http://www.mr2.com/TEXT/MR2_Japan.html

gt and gts is all about options, not the engine
gt and gts was only sold as rhd cars and only in japan (from what i know, but can not confirm to a 100%)
gt is the version with more options (luxury) while the
gts is the stripped down version, which also makes it lighter (this one is more of a race car if you prefer to say that)
a friend of mine has a wrecked GT from 95 that he uses as a spare parts car
while i have wrecked GTS from 95 as a spare parts car
in europe we did not have the mr2 turbo, thats why we imported them from the states
and therefor we also just say mr2 turbo
but we did have the 3sge which was called "GTi"

·
Registered
156 Posts
NoddE said:
____ed up info above..

check out this link its for the 1997 gt and gts:
http://www.mr2.com/TEXT/MR2_Japan.html

gt and gts is all about options, not the engine
gt and gts was only sold as rhd cars and only in japan (from what i know, but can not confirm to a 100%)
gt is the version with more options (luxury) while the
gts is the stripped down version, which also makes it lighter (this one is more of a race car if you prefer to say that)

CORRECT!!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts