MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my water injection installed and im wondering what kind of hand vac pump or something i can use to test what psi it comes in at? I went to the local napa and the ones they all had read in in of hg. I want to read psi tho correct? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
The pump you got should say what the setpoints are in its documentation. There will be a turn-on setpoint, and a turn-off. The turn-off, obviously, will be higher.

If you are wondering why your pump isn't pumping water, that's probably because you need to prime it with water first. Set it up so the pump is physically below the tank and turn on the pump until you get water shooting out of the pump.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh yea the pump is primed for sure we kindof tested it with like a bike pump but im not positve that it is exactly 10 psi like i want it to be. So i was thinking of getting like a hand vaccum pump to put in the 10 psi and watch the water come out. (i have these at my school but i dont remember waht kind they are or know where to get them)

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
i think you're saying you only want to spray above 10psi boost pressure, correct? depending on the wiring of the system you should be able to wire up a led or something to come on when the solenoid activates. there's got to be a relay or somewhere else to tap into.

or are you trying to pressurize your intake where the sensor is to 10+ psi to see if it sprays?

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea i mean the whole system itself works totally fine, im saying when my boost reaches 10 psi i want to make sure that is when the water is being injected. Im sorry if im wording all of this strange btw ha

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
yea jagibbs got what im saying pretty much haha, im trying to put 10 psi worth of vacum into the solenoid that is tapped into manifold vaccum for the aquamist to see if that is when it sprays

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
you need 10psi of pressure not vacuum. i'm not familiar with the Aquamist wiring, but if you wanted to do just a one time test, then maybe you can remove the sensor and fix some type of tubing over it so that you can pressurize it with a bike pump or whatever. Just tee it off to your aftermarket boost gauge to read the pressure.

you do already have a boost gauge correct?

EDIT: also 10psi is the same as 20.36 inches of Hg or 517.2 mm of Hg

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
He wants a measured, controllable pressure source to allow him to adjust the pressure switch that runs the pump on.

As long as you have a gauge (any decent aftermarket boost gauge will do) you can use any pressure source, bicycle pump, baketball pump, etc. If you have any kind of valve to control it, you can even use one of the tires as a pressure source.

bill

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hahaha thanks guys, yea i knew what i ment put totally worded it weird. I had the bicycle pump before i totally forgot about just reading my boost gauge tho. I guess that happenes when you finish stuff at 2 in the morning haha

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Cant wait to see the set up Tim. Then you can help me with mine! :p

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Use a grease gun with a hose teed into a boost gauge and the WI pressure sensor

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
wait i just realized something, if i do it where im watching my stock boost gauge that means that water is going to be squirted into my intake without air going through

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
I spliced in a $2 LED from radio shack into the purple wire, which I think was the "switch" wire that gets power when it turns on. Then from in the cabin, I could see when it was turning on.

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
DoorsWideShut said:
wait i just realized something, if i do it where im watching my stock boost gauge that means that water is going to be squirted into my intake without air going through
Discnnect yur boost guge hose, and connect the gauge to your WI system.

bill

1 - 20 of 20 Posts