MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get into motorcycles. I am getting my permit very soon, so it will be about a year until I can ride alone. I know I should start small, like in the 250cc range, but I feel that this would become boring after a while. I am thinking that getting a ninja 500R or a 600cc bike would allow me to learn, and provide thrill and fun for years to come. Anybody have any expericene or feedback?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
I started with a Ninja 500. They're GREAT bikes. Fast, nimble, forgiving, easy to learn, and they look a lot better in real life then they do in pictures.

After about a month of riding I was confident in my ability to ride something bigger, and have ridden something bigger since then... but I'm still a firm advocator of starting out small and working your way up. That and the 500 got me 55 MPG, which was awesome!

You'll get people on here that will tell you starting out on a 600 (Or even bigger) is okay, but IMO, that's just dumb. They say all it takes is responsibility and that you should just never roll back the throttle and you'll be okay... But there's a lot more to learning than throttle control.

The 600s are less forgiving, nimbler, lighter, faster, and just a generally worse bike for beginners. The jump from 500 to 600 cc's may just be 100, but the difference in power and performance is like night and day.

I never got bored riding my 500, it was always a thrill. Eventually even a bike as fast as the 500 (Which is damn fast compared to nearly any car) feels slow, and you want something faster, but I could still see myself having a 500 as a daily rider in the future at some point.

I highly recommend them.

-Gary

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
250's are boring, but theres other things you have to look at to.. you can pick up a NICE 250 for like 3 grand. I wouldnt get a new one. because its not a matter of if you drop it. its when you drop it. Also , if you only 4'5 , your gonna have a hard time reaching the floor on a 600+. even the slowest bike 250 will break the speed limit in 2nd gear =D

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
http://www.beginnerbikers.org/ <--There's a few other MR2 owners there too.

man the forum just ate my first responce... so here's my trimmed down version

I've heard good things about the 500 and agree with everything that PETC said. I have to add though, I really don't get the whole "getting bored" "growing out of it thing." I mean I ride a 200cc vintage Vespa; you don't get much tamer than that. This weekend I was hanging with a Ducati Monster and Yamaha RD250 going up Mt Helix. I guess it all depends on whether you care more about curves or straight lines.. I can see the appeal of sub 3 second 0-60 times having ridden bigger bikes, but that doesn't make mine any less fun. Even a Ninja 250 can do triple digit speeds. [shrugs]

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
shocker said:
250's are boring, but theres other things you have to look at to.. you can pick up a NICE 250 for like 3 grand. I wouldnt get a new one. because its not a matter of if you drop it. its when you drop it. Also , if you only 4'5 , your gonna have a hard time reaching the floor on a 600+. even the slowest bike 250 will break the speed limit in 2nd gear =D
You can get a new one for 3k... MSRP is 2999, my dealer sells them for 3600 OTD, one of the best bargains in motorcycling.

Oh yeah, I should add, your first bike isn't your last, but it could be.

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
Also! If you do pick up an EX500 (500R) I'd buy 1994 and up.

(It's either '93 or '94, but I think it's '94) The EX500 got a new look (Which is how it looks currently) upgraded front forks (Thicker, stiffer) bigger front brakes, and a change from drum to disc brakes in the rear. The gauges were changed, and the whole bike overall just looks better than it's pre 94 counterparts. Here's a picture of my old 500 the day I bought it.

And here's after I dumped it (it does happen... just buck up and wear gear)

Bought it for 1,500 dollars. It was a great bike, great deal, no sour feelings.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I agree with everyone else: the ninja500 is a great starter bike. Other options would be the Suzuki GS500F, which is damn-near the same bike, or a ninja250. Even the older 600's are damn fast, and should be avoided. The ability to go fast in a straight line just isn't as much fun as hauling ass in the twisties. I started on a Fzr400 and now, after owning an RC51 for a while, I sold it and am going back to the 400... smaller bikes are just more fun.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Another bike I would suggest would be an SV650. It is an extremely nimble, light bike, and is not full fairing so you would not pay killer insurance. They dont have massive amounts of horsepower, but are still fun, and there is a decent aftermarket for them.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
twocammer281 said:
Another bike I would suggest would be an SV650. It is an extremely nimble, light bike, and is not full fairing so you would not pay killer insurance. They dont have massive amounts of horsepower, but are still fun, and there is a decent aftermarket for them.

Sv650 is not a good beginners bike. Its a middle weight.

My vote is the EX250 or EX500

Petc... Sorry to see your crashed your bike... :-( Hope your ok..

B.T.W. I really dont know what the hell I am talking about, I'm just agreeing with everyone to be kool :moon:

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Zymosis said:
I agree with everyone else: the ninja500 is a great starter bike. Other options would be the Suzuki GS500F, which is damn-near the same bike, or a ninja250. Even the older 600's are damn fast, and should be avoided. The ability to go fast in a straight line just isn't as much fun as hauling ass in the twisties. I started on a Fzr400 and now, after owning an RC51 for a while, I sold it and am going back to the 400... smaller bikes are just more fun.

bling bing.. We have a winner..... Yup smaller bikes are a whole lot more fun..... And the FZR400 is a kick a$$ bike as well.... Wait til you ride a FZR 450 superbike!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
sv-650 has the best reviews for a beginners bike....and you wont grow out of it in a month. :) I was thinking about picking one up, but I'm too clumsy.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
chris93 said:
sv-650 has the best reviews for a beginners bike....and you wont grow out of it in a month. :) I was thinking about picking one up, but I'm too clumsy.
Everything I've read says that its a good second bike...

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
mkimr2 said:
bling bing.. We have a winner..... Yup smaller bikes are a whole lot more fun..... And the FZR400 is a kick a$$ bike as well.... Wait til you ride a FZR 450 superbike!
Funny you should mention that... I plan on selling my current grey market Japanese FZR400 to get either a well sorted, track-prepped fzr400 or a nice 4/6 swap with a yzf600 engine. I just can't get enough of the way those things handle... like 250gp bikes...

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
My friend just sent me this picture. It's the only picture I know of that exists of my actually riding my bike. Ironicaly enough, that was the day I dumped it. On a drive with some guys from NASIOC and some friends.

And I know you guys probably hate me for it, but I really loved my bike, so here's another picture I found of it that nw_mr2 and I took one night... the shadow is actually a table we used as a camera stand. Bad idea in retrospect...

Okay, I'm done, I swear...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was where you are when i started riding i begged my dad to let be get a 600 sportbike and he said no and i'm still alive today because of it (thanks Dad). people that think 600's aren't bad starter bikes because there not as fast as the big ones need to get there sense of speed checked. today's 600's will go o-60 in under 3 seconds. go 100+ mph in FIRST gear and top out around 130mph now if that's slow then a viper is right there with a VW bug. my advice is take a motorcycle safety foundation course. then see how easily you take to riding. a 500 is a great first bike, if you're comfy and take to riding quickly like i did you probably wouldn't have much trouble on a 650 twin. i know you're thinking "but a 650 is bigger than a 600?" yes it is but 600cc sport bikes put out almost double the horsepower of a 650 because there tuned to run like a bat outta hell. stay safe and keep the rubber side up

·
Registered
6,579 Posts
I posted a thread like this about a year ago. My "project Supercharged MR2" was broke down more than it was running. A few guys on here all said the same thing 250 or 500. I bought the 250 and rode rain or shine(throught two tropical storms as well) for 13 months. Still have it and I have to say they were right on the money. It's fast enough. Does the 1/4 mile in the mid 14's and this also gave me the luxury of not having to choose the "bike" as the ride that day because it's faster(if that makes any sense).

Also when you do drop it parts are hella cheap and yes I believe the top speed is published at 105 MPH(I believe this to be pretty accurate as well) :angel:

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
650 v-twin has the hp output of a 450-500cc inline four, and the torque of the 600cc.

600 inline four has alot more top end H.P. Any v-twin has more low end,

You learn to ride a 250 -500 at its max, Then when you move up to a 600cc or bigger bike you will be alot faster then your friends on a race track.... Its all about learning to hold your corner speed. Its so much easier on the 250-500

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
If you want insane gas mileage (65 with spirited riding, 75 without) then the 250 is AWESOME.

However, it is lacking in power. 14.5 seconds in the 1/4, while *quick* in a car, feels like a crawl on a motorcycle. Perhaps not the first time, but it'd get old fast.

However, as everyone will tell you, straightline speed isn't anywhere near as fun as riding through the mountains. :thumbup

1 - 20 of 43 Posts