MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
'91 MR2 Turbo, '20 BRZ
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, So working on cleaning up all the coolant pipes, and I get to the thermostat housing. Side to the radiator looks just fine, but then I pop out the thermostat.... OH MY $(%*& GOD! What in hell is this crap?
Gas Auto part Machine Motor vehicle Engineering

Here's a few more closeups...(click to enlarge)
Food Automotive lighting Recipe Automotive tire Sushi
Fluid Gas Motor vehicle Circle Machine

Even in the tube going toward the water pump had some of this almost "EGG-like" white stuff.
Musical instrument Circle Wood Metal Macro photography

The white/yellow stuff is soft and mushy and breaks apart easily. The "AMBER" like stuff is hard, but can crack away. After removing the build up, there was a layer of brown/black stuff. I see how it's eaten into the metal, and the way to the seal wall... whelp, so much for this part. Yet another part I had no plans to replace!!
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Headlamp Automotive design
Wood Gesture Window Wall Font

When I drained the coolant before dropping the engine, ti was all perfectly fine...not a single noticeable contamination the bucket (it's clear and shown light through). I have NO CLUE, and have never seen something like this before. With so much build up, I find it unlikely that it built up right there during running, as it's opposite to the flow (water pump would have blown that away if the thermostat could open at all. So I suspect it happened while the car sat? It's like some kind of larvae den!! Yet I don't know anything that can live in coolant? Anyone have a clue?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
'91 MR2 Turbo, '20 BRZ
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some sort of stop leak or like you said "egg" maybe.
Interesting... I've never used any stop leak products before so I have no experience with what they look like. Doesn't seem like the "grain size" of the white stuff would be very effective as such. Though it apparently was enough to really clog up the thermostat. So far I've not found any of this outside of that housing area. Water pump is clean and clear, and so are other pipes. I haven't removed the radiator hoses to check there though.

·
Premium Member
'91 MR2 Turbo, '20 BRZ
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, I can imagine that gunk is all over the coolant lines and in the block and radiator.
Yeah I need to check the radiator, but there was nothing in the block, water pump, or heater lines in the engine area. It all seems to be concentrated there so far. Man this project has cost me so much money on parts that are normally fine...going to be pissed if the radiator requires replacement too. cries

·
Premium Member
'91 MR2 Turbo, '20 BRZ
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, I had never heard of that before! It really does remind me of an egg! Now it makes me EVEN MORE suspicious of the radiator. Now I have no problems finding an aftermarket radiator, but MOST do not have a darn bleeder valve... Yet another part hunt begins...

·
Premium Member
'91 MR2 Turbo, '20 BRZ
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There’s only one way to know…
You gotta taste it. :p
Seriously though, egg was the first thing I thought when I saw it.
LOL yeah....solid pass... If so though, it was likely done for a reason, that there was a leak somewhere... and sadly I have not found where that was occurring. I'm also struggling to find a true "new" replacement for either the thermostat housing or the radiator. GPI racing radiator This one looks compatable, but I have zero experience with them, and honestly looks like a rebranded China radiator.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts