MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I joined about 15 years ago and it was BOOMING.
Now I look at old threads (2015 to today) and see so many threads with zero replies at all. Few with very many replies at all

What happened?
Where did everyone go?
Everyone just move to things like Facebook?
I dont get involved with any 'groups' on facebook because I prefer the way forums are set up and can be searched etc

Sold my car almost a decade ago, but looking to get back into the MR2 game so Im back on here researching.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I think it's as much the age of the cars as anything. Fifteen years ago our cars were just used cars, now they are getting old. MkIs are thirty years old; MkIIs are almost thirty.

Younger people are moving on to younger cars.

Del

·
Registered
11 Posts
Facebook groups as well. There's a good amount of posts in the mr2oc Facebook group each day. Same with the buy sell trade group...there's a couple posts a day it seems like

·
Registered
616 Posts
Facebook groups as well. There's a good amount of posts in the mr2oc Facebook group each day. Same with the buy sell trade group...there's a couple posts a day it seems like
Yeah it's facebook and a changing demographic - We're past the point of 3rd owners on most of these cars.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
I joined about 15 years ago...What happened? Where did everyone go?...
Why the surprise? 15 years isn't exactly a short period of time based on a car that was aged even back then. Things change - like FB, life priorities, cars are too old now, attrition, less parts availability, etc..

But this board is still a great technical resource (while it lasts).

·
Registered
616 Posts
Why the surprise? 15 years isn't exactly a short period of time based on a car that was aged even back then. Things change - like FB, life priorities, cars are too old now, attrition, less parts availability, etc..

But this board is still a great technical resource (while it lasts).
Lol yeah, how's Myspace doing? Enjoying a fresh Snapple and caring for your Tamagotchi?

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know things change, and even referenced Facebook in my opening post, but some other big sites are still going strong even in sections for older cars (ie: E30 BMW cars)

Ive spent too many hours on here the past week, and will spend more in the coming week and beyond possibly.
The knowledge is great, but I do miss the hay-day of a bustling forum for MR2 enthusiasts

·
Registered
616 Posts
I know things change, and even referenced Facebook in my opening post, but some other big sites are still going strong even in sections for older cars (ie: E30 BMW cars)

Ive spent too many hours on here the past week, and will spend more in the coming week and beyond possibly.
The knowledge is great, but I do miss the hay-day of a bustling forum for MR2 enthusiasts
Me too. I used to spend a lot longer on here, we organized mountain drives, groundbreaking innovations, etc. Everyone just kind of moved on, I guess.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Me too. I used to spend a lot longer on here, we organized mountain drives, groundbreaking innovations, etc. Everyone just kind of moved on, I guess.
dang shame.
All we can do is tell others, keep posting, keep asking questions (heck, Im asking a lot of questions on here in the past day or two with many more to come, resurrecting many threads)

Maybe as one or two or three people post more more will visit more regularly and it'll creep back up some.

Did the site get sold to a big company?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
The site is still a great reference, but regular activity on it dropped off when it was sold to IB. Most of the regular activity has offloaded to Facebook groups (about the only reason I still use FB). The other major MR2 forum sees more activity, but that's dropped off too.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yeah, I joined about that long ago and havent been around much until recently. I dont use FB at all so I have no idea how big/small that resource is. I do know that a good percentage of saved links ive had over the years dont work and a good percentage of them cannot be accessed with the wayback machine either. I am glad this resource still exists even if a pile of people arent around any more. Im sure all the real die hards still come and check the forums and usually its the die hards that have solid info.

·
Premium Member
11,737 Posts
The cars are going away, that is right. Both of my '86 mk1 cars died 3 years ago. The frames rusted from the inside out, and there was no option of repair. One of them I had for 30 years. I loved those cars, but I am done with that model because of the parts situation. Every repair became a crisis. I still come here to see if anyone has an interesting question about that car, or any other. I have an '04 spyder now. Terrific car, but the spyder owners are mostly elsewhere.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
...I am done with that model because of the parts situation. Every repair became a crisis...
I hear ya, I gave up my SC in 2003 because of the same situation.

And that's what I'm afraid of with my SW20. It's been a daily since 2009 and the engine just doesn't have the parts train it used to. Only a matter of time before I go 2GR - but only for parts availability and less so for the wow factor of that engine swap.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I used to frequent this forum when I had my 91, and it was booming. I probably stopped coming to the forum in 2006 or so.

I just returned after purchasing a 87 and there’s a big difference in traffic, but I expected that. The cars are getting old and the newer generation can just go buy a new car. Almost everything made today is fast/quick straight from the factory.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I used to frequent this forum when I had my 91, and it was booming. I probably stopped coming to the forum in 2006 or so.

I just returned after purchasing a 87 and there’s a big difference in traffic, but I expected that. The cars are getting old and the newer generation can just go buy a new car. Almost everything made today is fast/quick straight from the factory.
Yeah, 200hp of the turbo MkII was hot stuff in 91-95, but today...well, not so much.
BUT
What the MR2 DOES have is character and, well, obviously, a MR set-up that few cars under 100k have

It's what has attracted me back to the model.
Something not seen often, in a configuration even more rare, and the potential to get up close to 300hp relatively easily.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Yeah it's a shame because the facebook group is difficult to search and the comments format is just garbage compared to the forum. Literal decades worth of good data here that's relatively easily trawled through with google.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Even with its almost unusable interface, FB is still drawing them away as these car boards slip deeper into obsolescence. Apparently socializing w/ family & friends (and showing off) is more important than easy technical lookups.

There used to be 60+ international MR2 boards based on the PhP format, now there are somewhere around a dozen or so left.

·
Registered
328 Posts
As was mentioned, FB is absolutely killing car forums. I think it also explains how and why the younger generation is modifying cars. From what I've seen, typically it's mostly about creating something they can show off, and FB is a great platform for that kind of very shallow information exchange.

I'll also say that I think people that DO visit this forum tend to lurk way more than other forums I frequent, so the people that do visit here are part of the problem too. It seems most don't come here to participate, only to get some quick answers then leave.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts