MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

17x7 front
17x8 rear

Think it would look good on the Nautical Blue Duece?

·
Registered
740 Posts
i like the style of those wheels. I was considering picking up a set for my miata.
However, in your case, my oppinion on the wheels would depend on if the 17x8" wheels had more lip or a different face profile than the narrower 7" wheels.
I have owned ASA wheels in the past, and they were very light for their price (using BBS's low pressure casting technology). Although they werent the strongest wheels.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dr. Pepper said:
i like the style of those wheels. I was considering picking up a set for my miata.
However, in your case, my oppinion on the wheels would depend on if the 17x8" wheels had more lip or a different face profile than the narrower 7" wheels.
I have owned ASA wheels in the past, and they were very light for their price (using BBS's low pressure casting technology). Although they werent the strongest wheels.

I'm pretty sure the wider rears have slightly more of a lip to them. A friend of mine has a set of ASA's on his Jetta and he is happy with them. My wife wants these wheels in black for her TT, but in 18" sizing. Not sure if I want to do that now that you say they aren't too strong.

·
Registered
725 Posts
i think it should be what do YOU think of those wheels. is your car, your money, why do you care what other people think? do what you feel suits your car best! :)

now about the wheels. i think they look really nice !!

·
Registered
740 Posts
bummer, i think that those wheels only come in poor offsets for the 5x114.3mm bolt pattern. from what i have found, the 17x7's are a 45mm offset, and the 17x8's are a 48mm offset. bummer. :(

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dr. Pepper said:
bummer, i think that those wheels only come in poor offsets for the 5x114.3mm bolt pattern. from what i have found, the 17x7's are a 45mm offset, and the 17x8's are a 48mm offset. bummer. :(

hmm, i'll have to call tire rack and get a concrete answer on that. What is the best offset for an mr2 application? I know it is in the 30mm range, but i can't ever remember for sure.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I have those wheels on my MR2. I have the black centered wheels though in 17 x 8 on all four corners. My offsets are +35mm and I stuck a +5mm spacer on back to make it +30mm and it got rid of most of the tuck.

The 17 x 7's are +38mm and the 17 x 8's are +35mm and the picture of the lip IS the actual photo of the 17 x 8 wheel, great 2" lip. They do have 17 x 9 +45 too but they haven't test fitted them on an MR2 even though they will fit.
I would get the sizes you have listed above because I think a 215-40 is to narrow for an 8" rim up front. On the 17 x 8" rear you can run a 245-40 and it clears with ease, even with the 5mm spacer..

Pic? e-mail me @ [email protected]

·
Premium Member
13,141 Posts
mr2blubyu said:
hmm, i'll have to call tire rack and get a concrete answer on that. What is the best offset for an mr2 application? I know it is in the 30mm range, but i can't ever remember for sure.
Good luck with that. My limited experience with tirerack is that they dont even know what an offset is, all they can do is look the wheel up on the little "see what fits your car" thing, which is rediculous, because it doesnt even list staggered wheels for the MR2 in most cases :hammered:

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
WyrmMaster said:
Good luck with that. My limited experience with tirerack is that they dont even know what an offset is, all they can do is look the wheel up on the little "see what fits your car" thing, which is rediculous, because it doesnt even list staggered wheels for the MR2 in most cases :hammered:
agree, the tire rack doesn't go outside the box at all. They have nice wheels and good prices, but 17 x 7's with a 215 on all 4's isn't gonna cut it..

·
Registered
740 Posts
i guess the site that i got the specs for the asa AR1 wheels off of didnt list all of the available offsets. im happy knowing that better offsets are available! Those definately are nice wheels.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Dr. Pepper said:
i guess the site that i got the specs for the asa AR1 wheels off of didnt list all of the available offsets. im happy knowing that better offsets are available! Those definately are nice wheels.
The newer ASA's have better offsets. I found a new ASA called the BM3. They are bioch'n!! not sure of the price, but they look great. the 17 x 9 +45mm won't do me any good, but it'll fit FD's, Supras, etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts