MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about get aUnorthodox Racing Ultra S Underdrive Aluminum Crank Pulley becuase my crank pulley has a nice chip in it.
The chip keeps causing the Alternator belt to break.
Should I buy a factory Pulley or Should I go with this one.
Thanks for you help
scott

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Used UR pulleys are typically ~$100, used crank pulleys can be found for as low as $25. New OEM crank pulleys are in the $300 ball park.

I went from a UR pulley back to stock. First, since it was underdriving the alternator, my voltage would drop very low at idle, sometimes below 11 volts, at which point my car PC would shut off and that was incredibly annoying. Second, there are potential issues with UR pulleys damaging crank seals because they do not have a dampener like the OEM pulley.

·
Registered
633 Posts
i hope this thread gets bigger because i am/was getting ready to buy one.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
There have been some very extensive threads on the subject that a search would probably dig up.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
thanks guys.... im going to change my belt and start looking for a crank pulley....the UR pulley i could get for cheap becuase we have a vender licsence with a bunch of companies including them.
i assume jdm crank pulleys are the same as usdm

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I hope you like spending money on new internals. do a search on harmonic balancers (which the aftermarket ones omit)
Tyson

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I almost got one about a year ago, but the chance of it being detrimental to my bottom end made me stay stock. if they made an aluminum one with a damper i would have gotten one though.

·
Registered
777 Posts
i have had an UR pulley for years and have never had a problem exept the low voltage at idle. my motor is built and balanced with it though.

·
Registered
876 Posts
i had it on my del sol for a year or so, and then my mr2 for a year or so... i decided to go back to stock on the mr2 since i was and am pushing the limits of the motor quite a bit and with increased rpm.

i cant remember who at the moment... i havent seen them post in a long time, but if i remember correctly it was the same person who was putting i think a screw type s/c on their 3sgte... but he was in the process of getting a crank pulley made that was lighter as well as it still maintained the harmonic balancer which is optimum.

anyway, i would say its really not worth it.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
i wouldn't go with a lightened pulley because they dont have harmonic dampener. if you really want to lower your rotating mass, clutchmasters makes a 7.5lb aluminum flywheel which reduce your rotating mass a TON. a lightened crank pulley would definitly not be necessary after installing a flywheel that light, plus you'd still have the harmonic dampener in the stock crank pulley.

i would just buy a used stock one.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The crank pulley might be a bit heavy but the rotating mass of it isnt so great. The flywheel on the other hand is heavy and god it you can get a much lighter one. I Would prefer to to lighten the flywheel and the wheels themselves, but not the pulley since it is a special design unlike any aftermarket pulley.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
i dont know if i would do that. you want them to be balanced and if it has a chip I would think it is no good. i hope thats the right answer because I threw a way my chipped one and bought a new one. i think i pay 200, retail is 300 or so.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts