MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was just admiring my MKII turbo in the garage today, and was curious what other people liked about there MKII turbos?

Heres a list of things I like about mine:
I like it how people no longer call me by my first name, but by "the guy with the cool car" or some various generic car name like that.
People know my car better than me.
Sometimes Ill wake up at night just to go look in the garage in disbeleif that I actually bought one of these.
I dont know how I could possibly love a woman more than this car.
Whenever me and a group of people leave for some place, I always have a volunteer who wants to ride with me.
Random people will IM me asking me about my car
The car makes a big entrance whereever I go, and wherever I leave. Pssshhh!
People often confuse my car for some kind of an exotic, with the large rims and midrear engine.
Pedestrians always stare at my car when Im driving down a residential. And for the few that dont, the BOV always gets there attention.
My car doesnt need a bodykit, its one of the few cheap cars that looks cooler than certain years of corvettes.

I dont know if any1 else can relate to these things, but feel free to add to that list, and let me know if you agree with it.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Over here mk2 turbos arent rated as being particularly fast.

So it always keeps me happy saying 'yes it does pull 12s' to random people at the track :thumbup

·
Banned
3,065 Posts
things that matter to me other than what other people think:

- good daily driver even though it's a sports car
- handles amazing out of the box
- has damn good power out of the box
- not needing tons of HP to get good 1/4 times = less $ invested to go just as fast as others
- bulletproof motor

things i hate about mine:

- needs a lot of bodywork
- it is red and now i want black, or never to see red paint on the car ever again
- stock 14's
- too much factory wiring that needs to be gotten rid of
- ABS
- airbags
- seatbelts are so loose

·
Registered
139 Posts
Ummm wheres the motor???

That line always kills me

If you got a clean turbo 2, you are god to most people that wish they had one.

Launches!!!!!! ripping a trans am or stang off the line

umm you gotta love the spool baby!!! right in your ear. If you don't have a intake, get one!

You haven't experienced the potential of a 2 unless you have rode in one around curves with a dialed in suspension. Sooo fun

Who cares if they are expensive to drop into to the 11s. A lightly modded 2 with 93+ spring, aftermarket shocks and sway bars out handles most any car out there with the right driver.

Gotta Lovem

Burns

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
i love the looks, the power, the handling, people stare it when i drive down the road, i like that alot of people don't know what it is, and that you dont see MR2's everyday.

i don't like the leaky t-tops, drying/waxing the engine lid, and the lack of legroom( i'm 6'5) but other than that i love absolutley everything about it.

·
Registered
860 Posts
What I love:
Comments like "Do you have an engine in the front too?" or "What car is that?"
Aggressive stock body look
Sound of blitz intake sucking in air
Sound of blitz nur-spec(yeah it's loud but it's aggressive)
Power of the CT26(I'm happy with it)

What I hate:
Cops following me and running my plates(happens to me quite often)
Oil leak(soon to be fixed)
Exhaust leak/cracked manifold(soon to be fixed)
Not able to rotate tires(215front 235rear)
Alternator belt squeel
Dings that miracously appear when parked next to someone

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Pros: In lightly modified form it's a terrific street car and a competent track car that can run with some fast company, it's still comfortable and dead reliable, and the wife can go golfing with a girlfriend and two sets of clubs in the back! And it'll hold its value if you look after it.

Cons: Have to think on that for a while.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
pros:

- Rare, ive met people with EVOS(who followed me) and told me that the MR2 was what they wanted first but couldnt find a nice one so they got the EVO.
- Compliments everywhere i go
- People finding out its a mid engine and asking it was a CUSTOM job!
- How it looks stock (i dont have a body kit and im not getting one)
- The sound on the spool w/ my Apexi intake (just as mentioned above)
- How the car was built and designed (for a 1992 i think it is VERY IMPRESSIVE)
- owning one at my age
- and so on and so on.....

CONS:

- my sqeeky clutch pedal
- the wind sound from the weather stripping on the highway
- not to good of a winter car.
- e-brake freezing
- and thats it.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Stopping at a street light in a stock 1991 SMG Turbo and having a guy in an EVO VIII stare at my car. That's impressive, man..serioulsy.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Having owned a 95 Supra TT for about 3 years, I'm new to the MR2's. I bought one as a daily driver since I've turned the Supra into a not-so-daily driver car with over 700rwhp. I couldn't have spent my money better. While I bought the car knowing it needed a few things, It really has been a labor of love. Things I most love about this car:

The Engine. The 3SGTE is really a great motor. Compared to the 4G63, I consider the 3S to me much more refined. For a average size four cylinder, it really does a good job of overall quick revs and a good mix of low end. Combined with the 20b, I think this is damn near perfection for a daily driver powerband. It still has great streetablity, combined with nice pull to redline for quick burst of speed for that poor American V8 next to you.

The Interior. Maybe I'm just used to Toyota interiors by now, but compared with the huge Supra interior, the MR2 feels just right. It's not to big, but not to small. I'm 6' 2" and 210 pounds, but this car fits me like a good suit. The quality of the interior never fails to amaze me. Looking at 10+ year materials and the shape they are in now tells alot about the cars durability. The one part that was showing wear was the steering wheel leather trim, and that was replaced free under recall...no complaints.

The Exterior. The MR2 lowered with 93+ springs, in black, with clear front corners really does look very modern. Granted, pop up headlamps are no longer the rage, but the Corvette used them till 2004! I think the MR2's body lines will NEVER look dated. While most recent trends in the design of automobiles are geared toward smooth transitions and accented arc's, the MR2 remains in a class by itself. It really doesn't get more Japanese "looking" then this car with the right mix of subtle changes. Great looks, I get people asking me what kind of car it is and I've only owned it for 3 months.

The Drive. What can I say, that's why I bought it. Fun is the keyword that comes to mind with the MR2. I can point it anywhere and it goes. I've driven MANY cars in my life, including 2001/04 911TT's, every BMW M-car, a F355 and a 512-TR, a SL600, new/old S4, several Z06's and C5's, my own 700hp Supra, and dozen's more. The MR2 really does have an edge in some way against all those cars. I drove my first one in 98 when I got my license at 16. I was deathly afraid of the car, but I could just tell there was something so passionate about it. It was meant for a certain person to drive, and if you put the effort in driving it, you will reap the reward.

Ownership. How many times have you been asked what kind of car is that? Or have people stare as you drive past after you just waxed it up. It's a good feeling knowing a car that as designed almost 20 years ago can still turn heads today. How many other MR2's do you see while driving to work in the morning? I can honestly say in my area, I see another MK2 about 2 times a month, MAYBE. It's great not having a cookie cutter car. What I like most about owning this car is the feeling I get knowing that I have a little piece of a what is one of the best, unknown by most, and just awesome sports cars ever made. MR2 owners: How many times exiting a turn with the turbo spooling behind you on a cool night have you NOT be IN LOVE with this car?

If I would name a few negatives, I would say this short list:

Without snow tires, don't try it.
Snap oversteer (91) that can be a problem when other people drive it.
People over modifying the car and claiming it's no fun anymore. (T78)
The oil filter location.
Having every 16 year old in a Civic revving at you at stoplights.
Factory 91 Shift knob.
The fact that Toyota has abandoned the MR2 for now.

That's pretty much my view, overall, I really love this car, and even though I'm new to this world of MR2's, I plan to be here for a very long time. Indeed.

Justin

·
Pisces Power!!
2,993 Posts
I agree with all the pros already listed :smile: , but the Best thing for me is just getting respect on the roadways...I can just be cruising on the freeway, and no one will cut in front of me anymore! They'll just go around to the right or wait till I pass and get behind me! It totally cracks me up, hahaha! Oh, and I no longer get tail-gated like I used to in my former "normal" car.

On a side note, I recently had to get my car smoged, but didn't want to pull all my stuff off, and I live out here in the boonies (cowtown), so my chances where good to find a smogtech who wasn't familiar with MR2s. When he got in the car and popped the frunk, got out and pinned up the hood before realizing there was no engine, I knew I had come to the right place! The look on his face was priceless! The funniest thing was waching him do his visual inspection. He was looking all around the engine bay very bewildered, at all the bling, ssqv, mbc, tko, ect, ect, and finally said it was fine, and then passed the car LOL!!

Norm

·
Registered
633 Posts
Honestly i cant say it any better than sirscrtm. I still like to go into the garage just to look at what i have. This was my dream car and i love it. Yes i would absolutly love any high end car, but the mr2 is deffinatly my dream car.

The only con is that i cant drive it all the time. Even in the summer i dont take it out all the time. I really want to preserve this car.

The cars lines are flawless and personally i will never change them in any way.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
normr2,

i took my car for emissions...the guy got into my car and drove it up onto the roller....putting the front wheels on only....i looked at him and reiliazed that he thought it was FWD....as im running to tell him he gives gas and takes off running off the roller!!!!!...i get to him and he says "i know i know, i just found out the hard way"...i did have time to tell him that the engine was in the back...he did have a hard time finding how to open it!

·
Pisces Power!!
2,993 Posts
MRwd-2 said:
normr2,

i took my car for emissions...the guy got into my car and drove it up onto the roller....putting the front wheels on only....i looked at him and reiliazed that he thought it was FWD....as im running to tell him he gives gas and takes off running off the roller!!!!!...i get to him and he says "i know i know, i just found out the hard way"...i did have time to tell him that the engine was in the back...he did have a hard time finding how to open it!
MRwd-2, LOL!

Btw, I'm happy to hear that I'm not the only one who opens the garage door just to have a peek at her every once in a while :smile:

Norm

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
i love the fact that i have a daily beater car but i still want to drive my mr2 everyday! my 2 isnt the fastest on the road but it's quick and nearly too much fun to drive

pros
-the interior
-the motor
-the way the mr2 looks almost like a normal car but u can still tell there's something special about it

cons
-if i am unable to fix it myself it will cost both arms and both legs
-i may be too young and poor to have this calibur of car =(

·
Registered
6,871 Posts
I love hearing the turbo just by your left ear, the sound is sooo awesome. I will find myself just randomly getting on and off the gas to just hear the turbo. I love the way my exhaust sounds, its sooo cool. I love the way it just pulls through a corner, and I love the feel of the car.

Things I dont like about my car:
The paint got screwed up from the swap, and during other times I have worked on it
The fuel pump is about a foot from an opening that is accesible from inside the car
I accidently made my wiring harness about 2ft to long so it is just chilling behind my driver seat.
It can be a PITA to work on
The 17inch motegi's look kinda rice
I hate the way it handles in anything but perfect weather.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I like the fact that the MR2 is rare. People definietly wonder what ist is. I like that its the closing thing I can get to a Ferrari. Mid Engine Rear Wheel drive....that's the way a car is meant to be. It's comfortable as anything, quick, reliable and has the BEST yellow paint colour ever on a car out of the factory!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts