MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1989 AW11SC
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Over the years, I've owned different AW11's with different brand name exhaust systems. I once had an '86 AW11 that had a wonderful sounding Ansa exhaust.

At present, I'm running a Trust SP exhaust on my '89 SC. It's my second one, the first one rusted out badly in 6 months and was replaced under warranty. I had the second exhaust ceramic coated and it's held up amazingly well. I still remember how it took a few thousand kms. of driving before it was broken in, becoming louder as time progressed.

IMHO, you have to upgrade the exhaust from OEM. They sound awful, rob your engine of performance and weigh too much.

Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

I really like the sound of the Trust, despite it being very loud..... :cool:

Minty AW11SC

· Registered
7,069 Posts
Running some Japanese exhaust - no branding on it, but has a JASMA plate riveted to it (which is something they do in Japan, apparently).
It's a single exit, 3" exhaust, no cat.

I like it, it's not overly loud, doesnt drone. I dig it.

· Registered
1,428 Posts
Over the years, I've owned different AW11's with different brand name exhaust systems. I once had an '86 AW11 that had a wonderful sounding Ansa exhaust.

At present, I'm running a Trust SP exhaust on my '89 SC. It's my second one, the first one rusted out badly in 6 months and was replaced under warranty. I had the second exhaust ceramic coated and it's held up amazingly well. I still remember how it took a few thousand kms. of driving before it was broken in, becoming louder as time progressed.

IMHO, you have to upgrade the exhaust from OEM. They sound awful, rob your engine of performance and weigh too much.

View attachment 85179

I really like the sound of the Trust, despite it being very loud..... :cool:

Minty AW11SC
I love my OEM. I went with Greddy and I was droning and gave me a headache.

· Registered
9,413 Posts
When i had '85, circa 1990-1997, 1999-2004 (yes I owned it twice) I went from a completely blown out falling apart factory exhaust. Bought a replacement Walker muffler but the tips were crooked (all the Walkers had crooked tips) to a crappy homemade exhaust (horrible) to a Pacesetter Monza 4 tip (cheaper copy of the ANSA 4 tip). Got the Pacesetter in 1995. Paid $139 as compared to $300 for the ANSA. Most people had rust issues with the Pacesetter. I'm in southeast Louisiana and rust was never an issue. With the Pacesetter I was also catless. Had a bit of a rasp but sounded pretty good. More like a classic import than a modern one. Looked fantastic too.

When I got my '86, I gutted the '85 (crack in body under driver seat and had no where to store a parts car) and transplanted the Pacesetter on the '86. Circa 2004. Circa 2009 I scrapped the Pacesetter (ole girl was done) and went with a factory S/C exhaust. I never ran a cat on the '86.

The Pacesetter looked the best with the 4 slash cut tips. The S/C exhaust had a deeper burlier sounding tone than the Pacesetter. Neither are still available. There are 4 tip full stainless Pacesetter knock-offs on Ebay but have rolled tips instead of slash cut.

· Registered
7,069 Posts
It'd be hard to package, I'd think. And basically you'd have to turn it almost 90* vertical past the rear subframe.
If I were going to do something like that, and ruin my trunk/trunk space - Id put a huge muffler in there to make it never be annoying sounding to myself or others.
But Im not, so I'll stick with a well-muffled, stock-placed exhaust. And load it up with stuff for me and my wife on our (extended) weekend trips. Because the trunk space is what brought me back to the MR2 (SW) - we can go away for several days and all our stuff fits fine (and she packs BIG).

· Registered
2 Posts
I recently had a custom exhaust made. It's a single megan racing universal Muffler and their 3" tip. I was also able to get an SV3POWER exhaust set (headers + mid pipe) from Rat2 Motorsports which they had taken off an mr2 some years ago. And IT. IS. LOUD. It's quiet when idling and has a nice rich and deep tone, but anything over 2800 rpm sounds like a straight piped 350z. It even has that v6 kind of rasp over 4000rpm. It runs alot nicer now and is even more rev happy over 4k. It does pop and burble a tiny bit on decel after a good back road drive which always puts a smile on my face. Im fairly surprised my neighbors haven't complained yet 😅

Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

1 - 14 of 14 Posts