MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...Where are some common spots of AC leaks on our cars??? Other than the two O rings at the compressor? And what are some common problems with the AC system?? (3sgte) Any info would be cool! Thanks Mike.

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
I would check the condenser first, if you see any part of it looks wet or has alot of dirt accumulated, more than likely its your leak source. Other than that you have O-rings and there is the dreaded expansion valve in the evaporator behind the glove box that can also leak......hope this helps

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Leaks are usually at the condensor or the evaporator, but could be at any component, line, and/or O-ring in the system. Proper way to check is to fill system to spec and run AC, then use a sniffer or leak detection dye/blacklight. You can also run into clogs, faulty compressors, busted expansion valves or driers. If u dont have access to refrigerant and manifold sets and proper equipment...take it to a shop or you will chase your tail

·
Registered
354 Posts
Mine had a leak in the evaporator- this is in a big plastic box under the dash. Unfortunately, it was a very slow leak and the evap is not exposed enough for either the sniffer or blacklight would work without taking things apart. Took a while to find, but it's ice-cold now!

·
Registered
314 Posts
The pressure switch attached to the evaporator tubing can fail. toyota p/n 88645-30281. Four season p/n 20942.

·
Registered
1992 JDM RHD Turbo T-Top All Stock
52 Posts
I think there was a service bulletin for the expansion valve at the evaporator, too.

General Recalls
TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title
SSCP01 JUN 93 Special Service Campaign - P01 (A/C Expansion Valve)

My condenser had a leak in it because it was pushed back (accident from PO?) into the rad, and it caused a knick. Upon further investigation, my expansion valve was also leaking.

Putting leak dye into the AC system was an effective way for me to trace my leaks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts