MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know there is some engine that have a lower redline and the newer got an electric gas pedal that is more trouble to fit so i need opinion :smile:

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Get a 97+ engine. If you are going with stock engine management you want the 98 or later ECU and if you are planning on more than 10 psi eventually, forget the toyota ECU alltogether.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so if i want a one and just throw some cam at it im going with a 97 + and if am going more wild like a turbo setup or a built n/a im going with a 98-2003 engine ?

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
i think it dosent matter wat engine you get if your going with a standalone

i got a 98 on the way for me
my 4runner has a 96

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
NO,

Get a 97 or later since the early 96 engines had head gasket issues. If you are building the engine then that doesent even matter since you will be putting in good quality parts.

As for the 98+ ECU, The maps are different and the 98 ECU is known to handle a supercharger better than the 96 and 97 ECUs. Drive by wire would be kinda neat if you are just planning on some mild mods. The long cable in the 2 IMO makes the throttle a little numb compaired to other FR cars I own. If you are going EMS then you can snag a regular cable throttle from whereever you wish.

·
Registered
162 Posts
node, I plan on a 5vzfe in a MK1, also, but I have a 5speed from a camry that I plan on putting a LSD in. Is this worth the effort or just get '93+ from turbo MK2? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
allen do you mean use the camry internals in a mk2 casing? i dont think you can use the camry tranny cos the linkages are on the wrong side of it?

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
node said:
NO,

Get a 97 or later since the early 96 engines had head gasket issues. If you are building the engine then that doesent even matter since you will be putting in good quality parts.

As for the 98+ ECU, The maps are different and the 98 ECU is known to handle a supercharger better than the 96 and 97 ECUs. Drive by wire would be kinda neat if you are just planning on some mild mods. The long cable in the 2 IMO makes the throttle a little numb compaired to other FR cars I own. If you are going EMS then you can snag a regular cable throttle from whereever you wish.
but wasent it a recall?.. i would think if it was most of the 96's out there would have it done
my 96 4runner has 250,000KM on it and it has no issues

1 - 9 of 9 Posts