MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Its Official. Shane (aka I0I0I00I0I) and I are planning a 2 week long west coast road trip:
starting May 27th and ending June 12th.

CITIES AND DATES ARE POSTED BELOW!!!!

Right now we have 4 MR2's that have said they are going, possibly 5. We would like to get at least 10 people to cut costs a little, so if you want to go and don't want to drive your car....don't hesitate to jump in and come along.
We can only take so many ride-alongs so I'm going to say its first come first serve until the cars fill up. If the Tuareg comes along that will probably raise the seating capacity a little bit as well.

Anybody that has any interest in going or absolutely any questions comments about this trip, either post here or e-mail me at jlogs101(at)hotmail.com

I would like to request everyone going to be at least 21 seeing as how we're gambling in Vegas and going to some bars...however I won't turn anybody down if you know what you're getting into!

All cars are welcome to join but the more "twos" the better!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
OK, so I made a map and plotted the key points, you can use my login at
http://www.randmcnalley.com
[email protected] password: mr2trip

Please use this to just look at the map and not edit anything for the benifit of everyone interested.

Heres the jist of it for those of you too lazy to click the link and login.

EDITED 1/23/05 We're going to San Francisco instead of LA

May 27th - leave Chicago and go to St Louis stay the night
May 28th - leave St Louis and go to Dallas TX stay the night
May 29th - leave Dallas and go to Roswell NM, stay the night in Albuquerque
May 30th - leave Albuquerque and go to Winslow, stay the night in Phoenix
May 31st - leave Phoenix and go to Las Vegas, stay 2 nights
June 2nd - leave Las Vegas and go to San Diego, stay 2 nights
June 4th - leave San Diego and go to San Francisco, stay 2 nights
June 6th - leave San Francisco to go with the NorCal Caravan to Topeka

Thats pretty much the plan, if you guys have any other suggestions or maybe a place for a few of us to crash on these dates while we pass through post away :)

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
looks like the old Rt66. I have done this trip 20-25 times FYI its 32 Hrs Chicago to L.A. I have done the trip many times stopping for only a 3 hr nap.

St louis, is cool when you go over the Mississippi River. There are lots of bars and plenty of women there.

Dallas, is a big city but never found much there to do?? prob did not look hard for it??

Roswell, is a Bum Fcuk town with lots of tumble weed. You have the erie felling at night knowing UFOs are around you.. lol

Albuquerque,. its awsome going through the mountians before you enter the city. WATCH YOUR SPEED. There are cops every where looking for cars and Trucks bombing the canyons. never stayed there but it looks like you could find some fun??

Phoenix, I think of Motley Crue, GIRL GIRLS GIRLS!! go down near ASU and bring condoms LOL there are lots of cool bars and nightlife, My friend lives there and I try to stay for at least 2 days when I pass through. you will love this town!

San Diego, couldent tell you

LA, stay around the ocean or in Hollywood area, crazy freaks,bars nightlife,, everything is within a 3 mile radius. down town is simmilar to Chicago but more office buildings and less stuff to do. only down fall is bars close at 1-2 am?? I also have a friend out here and the partys are crazy!! be carefull lots of drugs run this area and weird people are always looking for some action. I dont know how many times i was asked for coke or some other drug wile walking back from a party?

Las vegas,, Do I net to tell you .....I diddent think so

If you need more info I can help
this its truly a great way to see the west coast HAVE FUN

Trent

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Tweak Monkey said:
thanks for the info Trent...you gunna find some time to make the trip too?

Not shure, I was thinking abut going to the 2005 mr2 meet but the 2 is for sale and I will be out in CA at least 3 times this year for the races. I take my motorcycle with me on all the trips and have done alot of sightseeing the last 4 years with it. It would be cool do do a road trip with others as I have only once had a group of 4 people with me one time..I tell you the crazy things we did on that trip I will never forget...I think many people have forgotton how much fun a road trip with friends can be

Trent

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
blue-sun said:
Trent,

we should do a road trip to N'Awlins and get blasted there. . .that would be the ish man!

David
im down. I alwaus wanted to do bourbon street just because I have never been there...LOL...look im already sluring my words.

Trent

G

·
I am so down. I've been wanting to get back to Cali for awhile now anyway. I gotta save some money in time though. But if my money is right, and my 2 is still spinnin' the rear tires, I'm there without a doubt.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
It sounds like an awesome trip but, i have school. What i want to do is meet with you guys and drive for like an hour or so and just turn around. So ill be there on lift off but i wont be able to make the trip.
-Terry

·
Registered
257 Posts
are you planning on attending the meet in topeka? It would be just as cool to drive back with everyone that attends NA2005, as its one of the last stops on the trip.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Whitemr291 said:
What i want to do is meet with you guys and drive for like an hour or so and just turn around. So ill be there on lift off but i wont be able to make the trip.
-Terry
Thats awesome too...hopefully more people will like you will join in, maybe catch some food together as we go through various places.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I0I0I00I0I said:
are you planning on attending the meet in topeka? It would be just as cool to drive back with everyone that attends NA2005, as its one of the last stops on the trip.
It is a possibility. Im still only 17 and it would be the farthest i would be from home, we will see though, i really want to go.
-Terry

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I could meet you guys in Vegas

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I might be going to Kansas city soon, I might have bought a truck that needs to come back home??
will now in a week or so.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Its getting painted as we speak, I have to pick up the hood and fenders, drop off doors and cab. hope it can be put to geather next month? we will see?

·
RIP July2013
1,454 Posts
http://home.insightbb.com/~mr2roadtrip/
that map/cities gave me the chills. this is going to FREAKING RULE!

I figured it out... gas is gonna run Approx. $600 im guessing, or less... and thats not counting me getting to IL first... not to mention ill have 2 mr2s to pay for.

Let me run this idea by you guys.... i already ran it by jeremy and it may be wise. With the more people that go, the cheaper it would be... and the more i think its necessary......

Touareg w/ Enclosed Race Trailer
I just bought this thing last night, and its awesome. I was thinking, if i can find a friend to drive it... i would put 1 of my 2 mr2s inside it, and drive the other mr2 myself. Now the benefit and need for this is, with the more cars we bring, the bigger chance someone is going to have a problem/break down. I can bring all of my tools with me, and hopefully can fix anything that happens, when it happens (benefit of MR2 Warehouse owner going on the trip ;)), but if needed, we could put the broken down car in the trailer, and then drive my other mr2. Think of it as insurance that someone wont get stranded/delay the trip.

The only downsides to this are... 1, its obviously going to be hard to keep up towing 7 thousand pounds. 2, i cant afford the gas on my mr2 and a touareg towing an mr2 that gets 10 MPG when towing.

Gasoline on the toureg would be around $1000, from IL round trip back to IL. If we can get 10 people, that would only be $100 a person splitting it. If we cant get 10 people, ill pay for 2 peoples worth since i plan on getting some advertising benefits while driving/at the meet (trailer is getting wrapped with my logo next week). An as for keeping up, it gets less gas mileage, but has a larger tank... so stopping for gas will be the same... and the thing can run 70 on the highway and all that, or however fast we are going... just takes a little longer to get up to speed. In other words, i dont want to leave my friend that is driving it, in the dust. i will take turns driving it, so that my friend can drive the mr2 as well, etc.

Okay, so let me know what you guys think. If you guys dont want to, thats cool... but i think its a good idea and may save someones ass (maybe even my own). Especially if we can put a car in the trailer and fix it later, at a hotel parking lot or something, so that it doesnt screw up our ETA's in each city, etc. I'll offer free labor during the trip as well ;)

Okay now that that's out there.... I CANT WAIT FOR THIS. i gotta make some mad money to afford all this gas too, lol. Not to mention HOTEL rooms and FOOD. Especially if i bring my gf, cause then i gotta pay double on both of those 2 things, lol.... but hopefully she can come. By the way, she is only 19, but we wont hold you guys back from anything.

Thanks for setting this up shane/jeremy. i was planning on doing this, but would hav waited too long to get anyone to come. ill try and round up as many locals/customers as i can.

I am sure you guys know, but for this to go smoothly/stay on schedule, it is going to have to be VERY ORGANIZED and REGULATED throughout. I will help as much as i can in any way that i can. I think i already have the risk of breaking down covered ;)

I will also be bringing digital cameras, cam corders, navigational systems, DVD players (can be used in hotel rooms), etc, etc, etc. This trip is going to be AMAZING.

·
Registered
257 Posts
As far as trip plans go right now I am working out more details and will let everyone know when I find anything new out, but if you haven't done so yet I suggest checking out the site Dave listed, that also happens to be in my sig :)

We need more people to make this REALLY work! Jeremy and I are working in our area to find more people, however if you are close to ANY part of the trip we would Love it if you could join us! Think of it this way... This is a once in a lifetime trip. When will this ever happen again? When will you be able to have this many mr2s travel this far TOGETHER! This is what this car is really about. Brining people together for a common interest, the love to drive!

As far as the toureg goes, I?m all for it if we get enough people. It is a great option as an insurance policy.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts