MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Posts with pics?
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am probably going to buy a MKII tommorrow.93 Turbo,low mileage.(!)
I've had an 86 MKI since about 95 I guess.I wasn't really looking to buy a MKII,but I ran across this one and I've got the cash so.....

Got a couple of questions,couldn't find answers in a search.

1.What year did Toyota make the switch to 134A in the MR2?
2.What years did they change the front and rear styling?
3.Anything I should look for as far as known issues?Such as the MKI's tendency to pop out of 5th gear(which mine never has)

Thanks in advance for not flaming me!

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
ya some people want the 93 lip because it was redesigned.

I would use the search function for more indepth differences between years.

·
Posts with pics?
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I posted earlier.It apparently didn't arrive.Well,I did fall asleep at the PC.

I looked at the 93.I can go with that,'cause it looks good..I drove it.MAN,that BOOST!
This is the second turbo car I've ever driven and I LIKE that oomph.First turbo I drove was an eclipse.Ten or so years ago I think.I've been on the displacement trip with the Corvette I've had for a few years,but the rush of pressure in the 2 makes me think I've been missing out on a lot of fun.

I would have bought it today,I brought the guy cash,and I was ready.I called up my Toyota tech and..."Oh,he's out sick today"I couldn't raise him on his cell phone either so he really was sick.I've gotta have him check it out for me,he's never steered me wrong yet.

Just a couple of issues.
1.A/C isn't working.A must have.Summer in Texas is not where I want to be w/no A/C.
2.Momo steering wheel.Kills the cruise control,although I hear there is a workaround.
3.Drivers seat wear.That's just gonna happen.Expect it.I've re-wrapped my MK1s seats twice already.I need to post some pics of those.I had them done in leather,black with red inserts and had the "TWIN CAM 16 VALVE"embossment on the sides of the headrest stitched in red thread.Turned out pretty good.

If my buddy gets better today(Friday)I *should * be in the MKII world tonight.I'm sure glad I have a Valentine One.But,the instant on will still getcha if you're the first guy he shoots.Scanner purchase,comin' up.(It couldn't hurt:))

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
There is a recall (still valid) for the A/C system. Your Toyota tech can run the VIN to see if yours qualifies, or you can call Toyota Customer Service and give them the VIN.

bill

·
Premium Member
22,915 Posts
so did ya get it?

bret said:
2) rear styling was changed in 93... not sure about the front. prolly 93 too?
The front lip was changed in '93 the rear wing and tail lights in '94, just a clarification...

·
Posts with pics?
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I sure did!:joecool:

I also learned about fuel cut.After a 55 mile hwy trip.Just before my exit I decided I had been docile long enough.It started boosting,then it cut and I didn't know what had happened.You can probably imagine my fear/disappointment/anxiety.

I pulled my code and found out.Then I checked here.

I'm building an FCD,but don't have the correct resistor value.Radio Shack had a 10k ohm and a 22k ohm.I bought both and I am putting in a 22k unless advised otherwise.I'm not sure if I should raise or lower the specified value,but I have to do one or the other.Radio Shack told me they no longer stock the 15k 1/4 watt resistor. :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
billwot said:
There is a recall (still valid) for the A/C system. Your Toyota tech can run the VIN to see if yours qualifies, or you can call Toyota Customer Service and give them the VIN.

bill
ive got my ac compressor sitting on the bookshelf over here, think the recall covers that :angel:

anywho, id take a look under the car if you could, look around for oil leaks, as that is a mistake i made when i got my 2, had a decent oil leak. Also, check the oil, then check the oil, then when you done, check the oil. IF theres something in there that doesnt look like oil, ask. Just basic stuff, take it to a mechanic, get it checked out. Also, check to see if there are any stored cel codes. When i got my 2, the previous owner kept a binder with all the recipts for each part he had, ex. a 96 jdm tranny with 50k km on it, thats one i was sure to verify that he had, and he did. Ive got well over 100 recipts for my 2. Just dont get so excited about getting one thta u forget to use some car sense before forking over the moolah.

anyways, Welcome to the club :thumbup

mark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts