MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone welded the sunroof opening to make it a hardtop. just wondering. and just how much stiffer is the hard top to the sunroof model.

·
Premium Member
13,212 Posts
I have heard of it being done. The problem is that the roof isnt flat, so its VERY tough to make it look "right". Now, if its a track only car, and you really don care, then go for it, but it will be tough to make the lines match up.

Easier to find a wrecked hardtop and cut the roof off and then cut your roof off and weld the new one on (I have also heard of this being done).

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
You can drill out the spotwelds and exchange the roof skins while adding the center brace. There's not much difference in stiffness though, 3/4" more headroom though, and it looks better. After researching it I don't think its worth the trouble and potential risk of not getting right.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
TomsMR2 said:
you'd need expensive equipment to even measure a difference, much less feel anything.
And to be honest, there won't even be significant enough different for any performance increase. This is a modification to get the car from 99.9% to 99.99%. Expensive, with very little gain. And if you're already that far, you've probably made the entire modification moot by welding in a roll cage.

Conclusion: It's a waste of money and time.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I had mine welded for the race car, but it was done by an experienced fabricator. It looked good, but I would not do it for a street car. It's easier just to find a hardtop model, and cheaper in the long run.

Plus, you still have all of the sunroof stuff inside the car to cut off and deal with, then you have to source a new headliner if it's a street car....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts