MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was doing my water pump and timing belt on my 88 SC auto
i found out the water pump come with the whole housing.....
i just want to konw if there is an easlier way to take the 2 bolt out (from behind the housing to the pipe)
or do i have to take the supercharger out?

·
i overtake on roundabouts
3,796 Posts
you can just replace the front half of the pump if the rest is in good order and not leaking anywhere.

i dont see how you can undo the pipe from the water pump rear housing while the s/c is still in.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I added an extra day to my timing belt/waterpump job trying to get the back half of the housing off. I even took the pipe loose at the other end by the transmission thinking I could slide it out enough to get to the bolts but the pipe is held to the engine block by a clamp behind the starter. I finally gave up and took the new pump apart and installed the front part.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that's what i did but u know what.........
it's leaking from behind the water pump housing......to the block.....the rectangular shaped gasket i think it's leaking.........is there anyway i can clean the old gasket out?? and install the new one in??

·
i overtake on roundabouts
3,796 Posts
if it's leaking from the o-ring that seals the rear section of the pump to the block then i'm afraid you will have to remove the s/c to be able to get the rear section out properly.
s/c removal isnt a hard job.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts