MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to install my JoeO WI kit...is the best place to install the sprayers immediately after the IC in the IC piping, or could I install them closer to the throttle body, like maybe even tapped into the sides of the throttle body inlet?

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I installed my two nozzles (Joe's kit) in the tb inlet. I have a 91T so I had upgraded the inlet to an ATS unit. The installation was easy and in case I screwed up, I could buy another ATS inlet. Also, if I ever decided to go back to stock, I could just swap back in my original 91 tb inlet.

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
Aquamist indicates to install the injectors after the intercooler and as far from the throttle body as possible.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is the reason for locating them as far from the TB as possible?

My situation is I'm not sure I am going to be able to (or want to!) drill into my blingin' turbhoses Greddy IC piping to mount my nozzles...

·
Registered
870 Posts
Well you have to put them somewhere. I think you really have 2 solutions.

1.) Put them in the throttle body inlet right before the throttle body.

2.) Drill into your Blingin' Turbohoses Greddy IC piping right after the intercooler.

They "NEED" to be separated from the throttle body to allow enough time for proper atomization of the Water Molecules, So it will be a Mist as opposed to "Drops." Theoretically that is, but it gives you an idea.

I think several people have mounted them to the Throttle body inlet without any ill effects. I am personally going to drill into my IC pipe.

HTH's
thetjs

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
The injector is what automizesthe water into a vapor. That happens as soon as it is shot.

You want it far away from the TB so it has time to disperse.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I think the reason Aquamist wants the injectors as far from the throttle body as possible is to allow the most time to cool the intake charge. Where you place the injectors, however, really depends on the application.
If you don't have an intercooler, or have a poor performing intercooler, the best location is far from the throttle body. If the intercooler is fine, it would be better to place the nozzles closer to the throttle body.
Water injection helps detonation in two manners:
1. Cooling the intake charge (also accomplished by the intercooler).
2. By having water in liquid form reach the combustion chamber.
I think #2 is frequently disregarded, but may actually be more important. This is where the water can really remove loads of heat from the combustion process and help eliminate detonation.
In my own application, I installed them in the throttle body inlet pipe.

Check out the website below - in particular the sample installations where you can see where others have placed the nozzles. Good luck!

http://water.lovehorsepower.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts