MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
the LS1 has one to keep the air from freezing the engine in the colder months from the ram-air setup, many F-body guys remove the hose during the summer, i dont know if we can do that too or not

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
It warms the charge air to optimize fuel vaporization. This allows the ECU to run a leaner mixture, improving both performance and economy.

bill

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
i knew billy would chime in soon

so it wouldnt be a good idea for us to disconnect it like the LS1 boys

·
Registered
227 Posts
Why the hell do we fit large I/C's and WI systems if it then gets warmed up before it goes into the engine ??
That could seriously knock performance surely?!?!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Ah ha,this is actually and "Inter-warmer" i guess:D

·
Automotive cartographer
4,402 Posts
Just another area where the requirements of real production cars built to run under as many conditions as possible conflict with making as much reliable power as possible under controlled conditions. You cannot have everything. A car that is great at everything can never be the best at everything.

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
Pat Signorino said:
Seems funny to intercool, then warm up the air afterwards...
Most of time, your not "intercooling".

And at full boost, WOT, the coolant loop doesn't have much impact on charge temp.

Kinda like Ricky sez-on a non highway, full out competition car, it probably wouldn't hurt to disable it. But as long as it spends some time being driven as driven under normal conditions, it lets you run a little leaner and a little cleaner.

There really wouldn't be any measurable difference by power by disabling it.

bill

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
elmo owen said:
Why the hell do we fit large I/C's and WI systems if it then gets warmed up before it goes into the engine ??
That could seriously knock performance surely?!?!
The idle valve only operates at idle oddly enough. The ECU closes it during other times, so there is no heated air coming in. You might pick up a tiny bit of heat at WOT from the hot throttle body, but at those velocities, it's a TINY bit of heat! Seriously, how hot can the air become passing through the throttle at 200+ mph?

The main reason is fuel dropout, as Bill said. Removing it, therefore, won't improve your performance and will reduce your ability to get a good, clean idle. Oh, and it will hurt your pocketbook if you idle a lot.

Much like a functioning EGR system, I see no reason whatsoever to remove it.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
flyboy said:
Much like a functioning EGR system, I see no reason whatsoever to remove it.
Although I agree, the EGR system is just ugly and the one pipe is always rusted. I purchased a set of block off plates and never used them. I wouldn't mind removing it because of how it looks but other than that there is really no reason to remove it.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I was also wondering why this stupid thing is on my car. Makes sense now. I did disconnect it when I pulled the throttle body. Do I need to burb the coolant system, or will I be alright without doing it. Also is there an easier way than that really in depth process. I mean there's no way that much air got it there. Perhaps just let the car idle for a while with the radiator cap only turned to the first point. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Pat Signorino said:
NooKa: You removed the hoses from the throttle body, but did you reroute the pipes? If you rerouted, then I doubt you have to do anything to the system other than maybe put some coolant in the overflow bottle to make sure it has something to suck back in if there is air in the head.
No I didn't re-route. Pulled the throttle body with the hoses to work on fuel rail/injectors. I plan on putting everything back the way it originally was.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts