MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
don't do that...

take off your spark plug wires and suck up the water with a wet/dry vac... or blow it out with an air compressor...

don't take out your plugs and let the water fall into the chamber...

also, your distributor cap and rotor might have gotten soaked and could use a drying...

~mikeym

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
just dont blast your engine with water....

I've never had this problem from just washing the car.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Def. water in the spark plug valleys...

Happens semi-frequently... you have to be careful when you wash your car. I always put something over my NA's engine, under the hood, when washing... my SC doesn't have this problem.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
yea ^ i put a black plastic bag over my spark plug wires and distributor cap....

just don't forget it....

i have only had that problem when washing my car on an angle... or pressure washing the engine :)

~mikeym

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Syizm said:
I used a plastic bag a few times... Don't forget to take it off when your done! :D
LOL! On my '86 NA, I used to put a plastic bag over the cone filter since it was right under the air vent. I'd do this whenever I parked it in the rain or washed it. One time I forgot to take it off after it had been raining and the car pulled on to the street aI floored it in first and the car didn't even accellerate! I came to a complete stop and then remembered that the bag was still on the filter. I took it off while at the side of the road and drove off. LOL.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, I think one of the wires wasn't sealing right to the valley cover and thats how the water got in. I took the plugs out and two on the left were a little wet. Dryed em off and stuck em back in. Then soaked up the little bit of moistre left. Just took it for a drive and works fine now. The little bit of water that couldve gottan in the cylinder wouldnt have hurt any thing. Although it didn't start up quite right. But then that may be my starter, its been screwin up lately.

·
Premium Member
10,360 Posts
Al, I used to the same problem with the 86 evey now and then. Sometimes if it rained hard, water would make its way into the plug valley. It doesn't take much to cause a problem.
I would recommend you get a new center cover(or at least new seals for it) NAPA has the seals, www.1sttoyotaparts.com has the entire center cover. IIRC the NA part is around $20.00 and has new seals installed.
You should probably get some OEM plug wires too. The ones on the motor came with it when I swapped it in. Don't know the brand, but one or two would always come unseated from the plugs.

Also, my Sc doesn't have this problem. I have OEM wires and a new center cover. I think the SC engine lid is the biggest factor, as it isn't vented on that side of the motor.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Chrono said:
is this problem only for the NAs? ive preasure washed my engine bay a few times and this has never happened to me
depends on your plug wires... I've had bosch, stock, and some other different kinds...

I find that the circular plugs let more water in that the rectangular plugs...

When i pressure washed with round plugs, always got water in... rectangular, very minimal if any...

~mikeym

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.