MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting to make some changes to my car...right now it has a TRD widebody rear bumper, made from Fiberglass. Having a few issues with it and I'm going to be putting another on there. I am hoping to change to a urethane bumper (at least the rear...front if I could find it as well :( )

but of course nobody makes one. (and please don't tell me the "real TRD is urethane" because thats a common misconception).

Has anybody ever seen a TRD or bumper other than border or TOMs made from urethane? Is there any company willing to undertake the task??

Thanks! :smile:

·
What Grind's My Gears!
1,181 Posts
hello
u can have a shop widen the stock bumper or modifey it to be wide using different bumpers an use back ureathene glue back on it.. it is very costly ..
we have dont it on the bmws...
henri

·
Premium Member
11,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
henria86 said:
hello
u can have a shop widen the stock bumper or modifey it to be wide using different bumpers an use back ureathene glue back on it.. it is very costly ..
we have dont it on the bmws...
henri
Hey:

Thanks for the suggestion, I never thought of that. Can you bond urethane and FG? What is "back urethane glue"? What is the very costly part...the labor, or are you referring to this "glue"? Anywhere where I could see pics of the BMWs that have had it done??

When you widen it do you cut it in the middle? If so do you fill it in with FG?

·
What Grind's My Gears!
1,181 Posts
JUSTIN,
this is for urethene to urathene, not fiberglass to urathene it will crack over hot an cold.. i dont have pics of it.. but it is at the dealership where we work at....
fiberglass is easy to extend.. very easy..
henri

·
2 less in Richmond.
20,801 Posts
what is the TRD bumper made of if it isnt urethane?

·
2 less in Richmond.
20,801 Posts
Urethane will not bond to Fiber glass and hold.

·
Premium Member
11,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
8Legs said:
what is the TRD bumper made of if it isnt urethane?
The authentic TRD widebody kit, as well as all repicas, are Fiberglass - 100%.

8Legs said:
Urethane will not bond to Fiber glass and hold.
Yeah I'm realizing I'm not following henria at all! I wish somebody made this damned bumper in urethane :(

·
2 less in Richmond.
20,801 Posts
Thanks, i didnt realize that TRD used fiber glass. Most of thier stuff is urethane. I had the TRD stage 2 bodykit on my spyder and it was urethane.

·
Premium Member
11,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
8Legs said:
Thanks, i didnt realize that TRD used fiber glass. Most of thier stuff is urethane. I had the TRD stage 2 bodykit on my spyder and it was urethane.
A urethane widebody kit would be a dream come true. Whether or not you spend the $7500 + on an authentic TRD kit or buy a $1500 replica and spend $6000 having it perfected, really doesn't make a difference in the outcome. I too thought the real kit would be urethane, but contacted toyota before doing my widebody and got all of this info first hand.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts