MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran a compression test, but like a dumbass thr engine wasnt really warm before I did it. I got 125-127 across the board. this is a major problem or is it just because I didnt properly have the enigne warmed up?

this is on a 92 turbo motor

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Depending on altitude and what else you forgot during the test, this might be fine. The main thing you are looking for is variance between cylinders.

If you are worried about the actual number, redo the test properly. By properly, I mean open throttle, no fuel being injected, high enough RPM (strong enough battery), all plugs removed, the works.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this would be at sea level. Ill have to find someone with a compression tester so I can get this done. when you say open throttle, do you mean floor the gas or manually pull then throttle open on the engine?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
i just did mine. the compression got higher and less varied when i warmed the engine up ahead of time.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
The actual number is not nearly as important as uniformity across all cylinders.
If you got the same value for all 4 cyliders your engine is probably fine.

As this thread illustrates...variation in the test procedure will affect the actual number...but as long as there is uniformity across the cyliders you should be OK.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
MisterMister said:
when you say open throttle, do you mean floor the gas or manually pull then throttle open on the engine?
The end result is the same...you want the throttle plate fully open...you can choose which method you prefer.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I just did mine today, I got 120 exactly across all 4. Not bad for a 168K motor. Motor was hot, by the way, plugs out, throttle open, good crank, EFI relay out.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
red_91duece said:
the bgb says it should be at 168psi or more.
A 170,000 mile motor is not going to have the same numbers as the BGB calls for. However as long as it is uniform he is not in immediate need of major engine repairs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts