MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was looking around at engines because of an idea I had to build a 16 cylinder 4 bank X 2 cycle from used snowmobile engines..

While hunting around to see if it had been done before. I came across the Bugatti and I noticed that they use a vw W16 engine.. I got to thinking, I wonder if vw ever decided to cut that engine in half and put it into other cars... come to find out they did.

The W8 basicly uses 4 cylinders of a vr6 engine then the double that up and stagger them into a W pattern. Being half of a Bugatti engine.. they should be capable of pretty good power with boost right?

From what I understand the vr6 makes pretty good power and good torque. I know they sound good with a decent exhaust.

Has anyone ever come across the W8 before or does anyone have any experience with a W8?

I was going to start working on sourcing everything for a 2gr swap in my aw11 but the idea of a 8cylinder basicly in place of 4 cylinder is pretty appealing. I wonder, does the W8 have the same bell housing as a vr6? Suppose the size would be close to a 2gr?

Anyone have any input on this idea?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My bad It is made with 2 vr4 engines laid out at 72 degrees on a common crank. N/a its 4.0L and makes 273hp at 6000rpm and 271ft lbs at 2750rpm.

I guess power to weight ratio. The 2gr would win.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts