MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 86 MR2 that is super red and it could use a repaint. I was thinking of how to make the car a little different than all the others and I usually dont like the idea of changing colors on cars without a complete change over, but was wondering how close the Viper Red is to the Super Red? Would it be obvious if I were to not do a complete changeover? Just paint the jambs I was thinking.

My idea is to paint the car like the stock 2 tone option, but with viper red as the main body color and the viper silver stripe color for the bottom. I love that color combo.

Or maybe I should just use the stock Super Red with the stock Silver Metallic for the 2 tone. I just like the way the viper color is brighter red.

·
They call me LUCKY!
4,923 Posts
viper red looks orange ish.... its a 2002 viper red ...

·
Registered
452 Posts
super red is pretty red, but when parked next to viper red, it looks dark. the viper red is bright and so nice. that's what i'm going to upgrade to. my car is currently super red.

suprisingly super red is a pretty expensive color. it will run you around $120+ for one quart.....and guess what.......viper red cost just the same:)...........that's through dupont.

·
Registered
122 Posts
the difference between the two is a viper red is a transparent(tricoat) and super red is a solid base coat(twostage). i like the viper red but will run you alot money in material apposed to super red.

·
2 less in Richmond.
20,801 Posts
Viper red is NOT a tricoat. It is a base clear color just like super red is. I have no idea who told you otherwise but they are incorrect. The 2 colors have the same pricing suffix in the Dupont and Sherwin Williams, meaning they will cost about the same. The only difference in the colors are,Viper red has more of the hs orange tint and none of the Burgundy toner used in super red.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you think it would be pretty obvious if I were to paint paint the car viper red and just paint the jambs instead of a complete change over?
If it would be obvious, I will probably consider just using Super Red and Grey Metallic and do a stock 2 tone look.

·
2 less in Richmond.
20,801 Posts
If the car is super red and you did the outside viper red, i dont think it is that big a difference to be an issue. Many of todays new cars have different colors in the jambs than on the outside. If the jambs are cut in properly, i think you could get away with it. Its all about how you tape it off and your attention to detail.

·
Registered
122 Posts
8Legs said:
Viper red is NOT a tricoat. It is a base clear color just like super red is. I have no idea who told you otherwise but they are incorrect. The 2 colors have the same pricing suffix in the Dupont and Sherwin Williams, meaning they will cost about the same. The only difference in the colors are,Viper red has more of the hs orange tint and none of the Burgundy toner used in super red.
last year i was deciding on the two colours and wanted to go viper red but the painter at my shop said it was a transperant and it was expensive so i went with super red! i guess he was wrong :mad:

·
2 less in Richmond.
20,801 Posts
Being transparent doesnt make it a 3 stage. What that means is the color is hard to cover because the tint pakage is thin. This would mean that you would need a lot more base to cover your car meaning higher expense. There are ways around this, one would be using a tintable primer the other would be using a less transparent base, then the right color.

I dont have a problem with this color on the SW mix bank. But other systems could have this problem. A 3 stage uses a base and a transparent midcoat then a clear. I can easily see your confusion.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
so 8Legs, do you have a paint/body shop? I'm going to be painting my 2 soon and you really seem to know your stuff...

thanks!

·
2 less in Richmond.
20,801 Posts
yes, we have a paint shop. We are cosmetic. We do not do major collision. I have been around in the paint business about 15years. I hope i have learned something in that time;)

If you need help along the way just ask.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts