MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i start the car up on a cold start, it idles at 2000 rpm steadily for about maybe 10 seconds. Then the idle will jump from 1800-2100rpm. It revvs fine and i have no exhaust leaks at all. Does anyone have any suggestions on which lines to check or diagnostic procedures to do to see if it is in fact a vacuum leak?? please guys help me its been 8 months since ive had my mr2 running and its doing this please help.
-Terry

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think i may know what the problem is but im not sure. I found out that the A/C idle up valve was un plugged. Would that make the car essentially have a vacuum leak, or sound like it has a vacuum leak?
-Terry

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that wasnt the problem. Now im stuck with a vacuum leak. Also what i noticed was that my boost gauge reads 20hg when the idle goes slowly up to 2000 then when it hits 2100 it drops to about 1700 and the boost goes to 17hg. Ive tried un plugging my boost gauge line to see if that is where its leaking from . Im really aggrevated by this. Some helpful feedback will help out a lot, becuase im stumped.
-Terry

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well i just read that if you open up the AFM door flapper thingy and the enigne starts to race then you have a vacuum leak. I did this and the enigne started to die. Any input please!!!
-Terry

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
throttle wire stuck, bad tps, mis-adjusted idle set screw. I dont know, just throwing some ideas. If you had a vacuum leak that was that bad, you would hear a high pitch whistle in the engine bay.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thank you, ill check all of that out, it might be the TPS, but would it be throwing a code? Because im not throwing any codes.
-Terry

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok i was adjusting the TPS and the idle adjusted from 2000-1800 but it stayed there steadily. Now, the idle will not drop past 1800 no matter what. Is this becuase of the idle adjust screw maybe? Where can this screw be located?? Also, when i would let it idle it red 20hg which was good, but when i revved it, it didnt produce any boost but i beg to differ that the turbo isnt spooling becuase i can hear it and it revvs really fast.
-Terry

·
Registered
154 Posts
idle screw, timing? u should spray carb cleaner around the engine bay a lil bit to see if you can track down a vaccum leak

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried that and didnt find anything. But when i adjusted the TPS and the idle adjustment screw it did wonders. It now idles pretty much perfect. thanks guys for all the help.
-Terry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts