MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha,

My name is Alex from honolulu and I am going to san carlos in april for about 2 weeks for vacation. While I am there I would like to keep up with my triathlon training and conditioning so I would like to know if there are any community pools I can swim at within the san carlos area? I dont mind running 10 miles to a pool since I do that already or riding my bike to a pool.

I already scoped out the 24 hour fitness on industrial road but they dont have a pool but luckly they do have treadmills and spinning cycle classes so i am covered in that area.

Also, are there any places you guy can suggest I can go sight seeing in the area? I plan on heading down to the piers and going on the alcatraz island tour, since next year I will be doing the escape from alcatraz triathlon.

Mahalo's
Alex

·
Registered
72 Posts
The YMCA in San Mateo off Hwy 92 has a pool. You have to be a member though, not sure if they off monthly or other short-term memberships. I ued to swim there but it's been years.

The College of San Mateo had a pool that was open to the public in the summer, but again, it's been years so I don't know if they still do that.

LMarie

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
i always find it kind of funny when someone from a place like hawaii comes somewhere near where i live for vacation.... it's so nice there why would you ever leave?!?! im just playing... but yea, i wish i could mover there, everyone seems so laid back. hope you find a place to train and hopw you have a good vacation!

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
the 24hr fitness in san mateo... like 5 mins away from San Carlos... has a pool.

But it's pretty small from what I hear.

The Y sounds like a good idea. It has 7 lanes and has pretty good hours.

http://www.ymcasf.org/Peninsula/index.html

FWIW... I go to Gold's Gym in San Mateo, and it ias a much nicer gym than the 24 hours around here.

They have spinning classes. But I use the spinning cycles when the classes are not in session. I like being in the spinning room by myself, makes it feel more like a real TT :)

BTW, too bad you don't have your bike with you, otherwsie I'd join you for a ride. Most of the riders here are climbers, so as a former TT guy, I had to get used to that. We have some NICE hills here. Also not to far away... Canada road along HWY 280 is a nice flat out gently rolling road that you can absolutely fly down on a bike.

Marco

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
uspspro said:
the 24hr fitness in san mateo... like 5 mins away from San Carlos... has a pool.

But it's pretty small from what I hear.

The Y sounds like a good idea. It has 7 lanes and has pretty good hours.

http://www.ymcasf.org/Peninsula/index.html

FWIW... I go to Gold's Gym in San Mateo, and it ias a much nicer gym than the 24 hours around here.

They have spinning classes. But I use the spinning cycles when the classes are not in session. I like being in the spinning room by myself, makes it feel more like a real TT :)

BTW, too bad you don't have your bike with you, otherwsie I'd join you for a ride. Most of the riders here are climbers, so as a former TT guy, I had to get used to that. We have some NICE hills here. Also not to far away... Canada road along HWY 280 is a nice flat out gently rolling road that you can absolutely fly down on a bike.

Marco

after looking at the distance between san carlos to san mateo I think I should bring my bike to ride to and from the sam mateo 24 hour fitenss gym.

would you know how long the pool is at the san mateo 24 hour fitness gym?

thanks

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
icup said:
i always find it kind of funny when someone from a place like hawaii comes somewhere near where i live for vacation.... it's so nice there why would you ever leave?!?! im just playing... but yea, i wish i could mover there, everyone seems so laid back. hope you find a place to train and hopw you have a good vacation!
After obtaining my RN license, I plan on living in either san carlos or san mateo and will be working in the area as an RN.

I will probably be there in about 2 years from now.

Hawaii is very nice but the cost of living is very high, taxes are high, gas prices are high, condo prices and home prices are igh, and almost everything is high and the price of everything will increase again but the only thing that stays the same is the pay scale. Whne the pay scale stays the same and cost of living increases then there is a serious problem.

A RN here in hawaii gets about $26. per hour, a single family home is about $650,000-$950,000, condo prices are $350,000-$650,000.

If I were to work in san mateo or san carlos I will be getting paid $40-$45 per hour.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
apexsw20trd said:
after looking at the distance between san carlos to san mateo I think I should bring my bike to ride to and from the sam mateo 24 hour fitenss gym.

would you know how long the pool is at the san mateo 24 hour fitness gym?

thanks
There is an actual nice route between san carlos and san mateo too.. I can give you one later if you'd like... haha El Camino Real (the main road connecting the two) can be kind of annoying (traffic, lights, etc).

I don't know how long the pool is at 24hr, sorry...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts