MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

101 - 120 of 536 Posts

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Wow! pretty wild build! I've always wanted to extend the rear and use a trans-axle! Glad to see someone doing it!!! Cant wait to see what you are going to do with the bodywork!

·
Registered
20,018 Posts
Its Turbo Time said:
Wow! pretty wild build! I've always wanted to extend the rear and use a trans-axle! Glad to see someone doing it!!! Cant wait to see what you are going to do with the bodywork!
lots 'o bondo lol

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Quick update: Finished designing the tension rod brackets and the frame rails required to support them, but I ran out of time to weld it all together. I need to drop the engine and transmission to finish a few welds and while that's out then I'm going to clean up the rest of the engine bay/underbody with seam sealer, primer, and paint. Next parts required are Audi A8 hubs and audi axles, as well as spacers for the rims and rear tires. Once that's all done it should be a roller, and then it's on to the nit-picky custom shifter/ecu crap... Just gotta take it one tiny job at a time and soon it will be done :) PICTURE DUMP!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
I've been working away all week to finish the mounts for the tension rods. I had to take the suspension off, take the motor and transmission out, put the suspension back on, take some measurements, make metal pieces, tack them in place, take the suspension back off, and finish the welds and clean up the underbody. I also finished off the front crossmember. Now that I've given it all some light grinding and a quick spray to keep the surface rust off, I'm putting the motor back in to make some custom transmission mounts, find my axles, figure out the shift linkage, coolant/fuel/clutch/brake lines, and finally exhaust. After that's all done I'm going to take the engine and transmission back out to body work and spray the engine bay and underbody gloss black. With all the engine out/in work, I'm going to get really good at this :)

Finishing off the brackets:

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Front crossmember cut and sealed up:

Lowered on factory front rims, to approximate ride height, testing wheels and getting a sense of the body modifications required. Still need spacers before it will roll on my new black rims:

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Ok so small update. I got a job working parts at the local Toyota dealership, my dream job haha. I've made significant progress but nothing really interesting to see in pictures, so I took boring pictures anyways. Hopefully now I can afford the rest of the bits and pieces to finish this off. On a positive note, the company that sold me the Audi originally has promised to provide me with an ecu and possibly a gauge cluster as well. Only a few parts short of the goal.

New hubs and old spindles:

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Some tool did this taking the bearing out last time, hopefully it will be ok for me to press a new one in overtop:

Doesn't quite look like an Audi engine does it?

Mount in progress, passenger side:

101 - 120 of 536 Posts