MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

41 - 60 of 536 Posts

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Looks good. I like that you paid attention to structure and how to attach your new subframe to the original structure of the car. I don't think people realize or pay attention enough to this. The rear firewall, and the integrated crossmember are very thinwall.

In my own project, I reinforced the front engine mount area, as I am still transverse, but I moved the front engine mount much further to the left.

how do you plan to fill in the missing bodywork?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Yea that integrated crossmember I think is only 18 gauge steel, not very thick. I'm trying to keep everything super strong, so there is more attachment pieces coming and also should clean up the look quite a bit.

missing bodywork will be filled either with hand made quarters or some really nice fenders.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Still making frame pieces, should be two more to go then everything else is cosmetic. Hopefully I can test fit the motor this weekend :D

Sides:

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Looking good starlet!

Fabrication takes FOREVER doesn't it? I mean compared to just wrenching on a MR2. These days, I get a kick out of people who complain that engine or transmission removal, and dissassembly then reassembly, reinstall takes a long time. Fabbing takes something like 10 times longer to do that just unbolting and bolting stuff.

Your engine bay is looking a lot more like N/S oriented exotic car engine bays I have seen photos of (and similar to the Pantera bay that I have seen in person).

Pantera puts the gas tank next to the engine on the left side--right next to the left exhaust manifold!

Some exotics put the battery in one of the pockets on the left or right. McLaren F1 put side trunks in those spots.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Fabrication DOES take forever. I remember cutting this thing up and thinking "oh I'll just make this piece for here, that piece for there, it'll be quick and easy", but then putting a piece in, taking it out, trimming, putting it back in, taking it out, trimming more, cutting, grinding, sanding, welding. That one frame piece yesterday took me over 8 hours lol. Meanwhile I can rip out a transmission and install a diff in it in less than 4 hours...

Looks like enough room for a trunk, until I find room for my mufflers lol. I'm leaving the rear floor pan open for now anticipating the space required for the exhaust. I don't think I want a trunk as I'm probably going to be doing some things to the rear of the car for air flow and venting.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Looks like you dropped your gas tank. Are you planning on using the stock gas tank in the stock location? Will you modify the tank?

Mike_H (on this forum) that did the N/S Audi ABZ + Audi FWD 01x trans chopped off the tank, shortening it. But then, the front of his engine went into the cabin (he boxed in a new firewall). As you are just lengthening the wheelbase, which Mike did not do, I suspect you can use the stock tank. You will just have to make sure there is room for the filler pipe in front of your engine pulleys.

On my project, I have to re-route the filler pipe, as my engine is really close to the firewall.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
My factory tank still fits, and there is lots of room for the fuel filler neck in the factory location. This was part of my logic behind extending the wheelbase, not messing with custom tanks (which i have done before, but do not enjoy). I only dropped the tank so that I wouldn't blow up my car welding it lol.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Spent a few days in the garage this weekend just finishing up a few little things with the frame. Today I had to baby sit at the same time so work was slow, also started classes again last week and I need to spend the next week/weekend working on the bmw so I probably won't get anything done for a week or so on this. Most of the engine bay is done as far as welding and cutting goes, there are a few seams/joints that need to be welded but nothing major. Next up is the crossmember plus engine test fit (how did I know I wouldnt get that far this weekend? lol), then the wheel wells still need to be put in. After that I will clean up some of the welds, do a bit of bodywork in the engine bay to get it looking really nice and then I'll seam seal and paint the engine bay. I sprayed some paint on the bare metal today to keep the surface rust at bay and the white makes it easy to see what needs to be grinded, filled, etc. Overall I'm really happy with the current progress.

Blacked out frame where air intake will be:

The crossmember...

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I just sorta make it up as I go along :p Fixing enough rusty old Toyotas will teach you a few things. And for the record, the first month was just digging into the Audi, the actual swap has only been about a month ;) lol

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Today I had to baby sit at the same time so work was slow...
Just weld up a cage for the kid and put him in the corner of the garage! LOL

SEriously, what are those things that look like cans sticking out of the sides of your transaxle? Some kind of shield that goes around the inner CV joints?

What trans are you using (is it an audi 01x) ? which one? where did you get it?

On that trans, are the inner CV's tripod style like the auto trans axles you posted photos of earlier? Do they stick out quite a ways as well?

Great fab work! Your car is looking really good!
How does the stock trunk lid look on there?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Yes they are shields for the inner CV, it's a 012 from a VW passat, just about the only thing I could get here for a decent price. The inner CVs have the same pattern as the auto 4wd trans as far as I can tell (haven't actually put them up next to each other).
I haven't put the stock trunk lid on, going custom for the entire engine lid so I'm not too worried about fitment.

41 - 60 of 536 Posts