MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 536 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting my new build in the next few weeks. The drivetrain arrives this thursday. Engine is a 4.2L v8 out of a 2001 audi a6, chassis is a 1991 USDM MR2. Transmission will be a 6 speed manual. This will be the most unique engine swap I've ever done, probably also the most labor intensive.

Here's the car:

And what the motor is going in (my 3vz-fe powered 3.0L v6 mr2):

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Buying the whole car ensures I get full wiring harness and all sensors and such that I need. Also gives me bits of exhaust to help make the system, access to factory engine mount locations, two sets of axle shafts (since that will probably be the most difficult aspect to sort), and gauge cluster.

Car has a blown transmission.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
stock is 305hp or something, running base for the first year, forced induction once it has been fully enjoyed. Plus 300hp is a lot considering how much the car weighs and it's relatively short to begin with wheelbase. I prefer to drive my cars vigorously and not have them as track only or show queens. Everything needs to be useable. This is another reason I've chosen the v8; forced induction on the v6 would've been nice, but i prefer more bottom end and a better base to build off of.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hp is for bragging rites in the bar, Torque is where it's at :thumbup

~300hp yes but a matching 300ft/lb torque .... That'll pull the skin off my mums custard! :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

·
Don't mess with Texas
19,880 Posts
dgh938peg said:
Hp is for bragging rites in the bar, Torque is where it's at :thumbup

~300hp yes but a matching 300ft/lb torque .... That'll pull the skin off my mums custard! :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup
HP is just a calculation of torque, having the same or more torque then HP simply means that your motor doesn't flow very well causing power to peak early and also drop off early.

I prefer efficient engines that have the highest possible VE throughout the RPM band, had enough of the big torque game with American V8's to last me for some time.

That said a V8 would be a lot of fun in a lightweight car like an MR2, great for autocross. Traction will be a problem though.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I dont disagree, but i think 300hp (ideal street MR2 hp) and 300tq will make an amazing setup Tex! One without the other (hp without torque or torque without hp) is no either. Add into that what should be an improved weight distribution with the bulk of the engine being forward of the axle, it should be a pretty sweet drive :)

·
Registered
345 Posts
There's loads available in Europe for this Audi V8 .... Ok it's the B7 RS4 platform but listen to this..... :eek: :eek: :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBkX8GS5FoY

They're very desirable to tuners because there's loads of them becoming Very VERY cheap over hear because of fuel prices.... We are around $8 a US gallon now... So running a car that does 15mpg ain't all that much fun!

Barely broken in
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201218468627083/sort/default/usedcars/engine-size-cars/4l_to_4-9l/fuel-type/petrol/make/audi/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/page/1/radius/1500/postcode/ct130as?logcode=p

·
Registered
8,745 Posts
Jesus Christ, the motor sounds incredible! That motor in a mki would be insane/amazing/perfect. 535hp supercharged v8 spinning to 8,250 rpm FTW. It's only on 6.5 psi too.

I don't see a price listed so it's probably crazy, but it looks like it uses a twinscrew, so it may not be all that hard to replicate for someone who is already swapping the motor into an mr2.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I did find a price for the conversion a while back and recall it being something in the order of ?35'000 for the engine work alone.....

1 - 20 of 536 Posts