MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I recently bought a new set of wheels, tires and spacers, and when i put them on, one side is flush with the fender, and the other one is sticking out, just shy of 8cm or so.

Any of you have had trouble with this and why is it like that?
Obviously identical wheels, tires and spacers. Issue is just on the rear of the car.
MK2 1996 3SGE

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
...Obviously identical wheels, tires and spacers....
Obviously not! I am assuming that your car looked right with the old wheels on. One of the wheels could have a drastically different offset, and that might not be obvious. That is the only thing that I can think of that could escape a casual inspection. With a discrepancy of 8cm, you should be able to find the difference in a few minutes using a ruler.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Obviously not! I am assuming that your car looked right with the old wheels on. One of the wheels could have a drastically different offset, and that might not be obvious. That is the only thing that I can think of that could escape a casual inspection. With a discrepancy of 8cm, you should be able to find the difference in a few minutes using a ruler.
I do not know if it was "normal" with the old wheels as they were kind of tucked in under the rear fender, so i didnt notice anything before i bought new wheels with a lower offset. I'll do some measures just to be sure!
I bought wheels and tires at my local wheel shop and they mounted the wheels on so i assume they are alike unless somone has made an error in my order.
I'll add some pictures aswell when i check it out, car is in winter storage so ill check one of the following days.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do the wheels have specs on them?
Diameter, width, offset.
8cm is 80mm or just over 3 inches. Are you sure cm is the correct measurement term and not mm? Because that is a huge difference.
Wheels in the rear are 18" 8.75" 35mm offset. As far as my measurements go the wheels are identical.
On the other hand 8cm as I mentioned is wrong. Poke left is 6mm outside fender, right is 14mm outside fender.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Ok. Looks like the subframe is offset a fair distance to the right. But also camber might be out. It is possible to shift the subframe to the left a bit by loosening the 4 main bolts and shifting it.
Getting a wheel alignment with new wheels and tyres is always a good idea. This might tell you where things are out.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
I think that you have different camber on the two sides. Using the frame of your shed as a reference, it seems to me that either your car or your shed is not square. I second the advice given above.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I think that you have different camber on the two sides. Using the frame of your shed as a reference, it seems to me that either your car or your shed is not square. I second the advice given above.
I did have a look at the camber but with photos you can't be too sure due to the distortion of the lens. There is a bit of adjustment in the 2 lower bolts for camber but not heaps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts