MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this on their Facebook page dated 4 January...

2022 marks my twenty fifth year providing parts to the MR2 community. It doesn't seem that long - really, it doesn't - but with some life events that came my way in 2021 and the ever more burdensome regulatory enviroment facing small businesses (I'm looking at you, BREXIT and South Dakota V. Wayfair, Inc.) I have decided that it will mark the slow march toward closing up shop for Twos R Us. I had a couple of motivated, trusted friends interested in taking over and continuing the legacy, but life rewarded their drive with far better opportunities that I do not fault them for choosing over this.
What does this mean for to you? In the near term, we have reduced our hours (in the shop officially three days a week. Realistically, I'll be here five days but if I want to take a long weekend I can do it without feeling like no one knew it was coming), we will be phasing out slow selling parts, manufacturing, and items that we don't like shipping (think brake rotors, exhaust systems, sway bars, clutches and the like) and shifting focus toward clearing out a 15 year collection of used parts that has been waiting patiently for me to find time to catalogue and list it for sale. This collection takes up over 3000 square feet of warehouse space, so it will not be a quick process. There are still five or six cars waiting to be dismantled too. Yeah, not happening quickly. While that's going on, we will continue to offer our more popular items and reproductions in addition to whatever we find lurking in the corners of the warehouses that was bought, never put on the site, and forgotten. We will also be reducing our inventory holdings on new items, so you may notice items disappearing from the site while we wait for re-stock to arrive (we will strive to do our best version of 'just in time inventory control' but I have no expectation that this will mean we never run out of something).
While this may seem like a farewell, it certainly is not. I am humbly gracious to all of you for the support over the years and I know that this business would not have thrived without it. I will continue to use the 'how would I want to be treated' litmus test for customer service until the day the doors close for good and I will always be in debt to this community for providing me the ability to set my own schedule and leave the rat race those many years ago.
Wishing you all clear roads and sunny skies.

This is a terrible loss for the community. Get your parts from them while you can.

·
Registered
61 Posts
That's a heartbreaker for sure. Massive loss to the community and rich scalpers will just buy up everything and mark it up 150%

·
Registered
52 Posts
Had to happen sometime. I'm thankful I've been able to get all the parts I've ordered from them and will be sad to see them go. I wonder what will happen with the C-pillar trim reproductions. Will the original owner of the design start selling them himself?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Massive bummer. Prime and MR2 Heaven seem to be doing well enough, but man we don't need a reduction in parts availability. Although in the short term, I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of used parts catalog he's going to get up there.

·
Super Moderator
5,542 Posts
Sad, but doesn't surprise me. New tax laws on small niche businesses coupled with long term expensive shipping issues just means less business owners want to deal with it all. Why bother? Owning a small parts business is not just for profit, it should be fun too - lately it's not.

·
Registered
139 Posts
As each day passes, my bookmarks for MR2 part sources keeps getting smaller and smaller 😟

Time to draft up a shopping list.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just spent a good bit of money with Twos R Us, prob spend some more next week too. Damn shame to see them close up

·
Super Moderator
5,542 Posts
I know it's an old cliche, but this is just another nail in the MR2 coffin - this one maybe two nails. And I'm worse off than all of you. My deuce is my daily!

Thank the stars I work at home more and don't need to wear it out as fast. Can a man thank COVID for prolonging his beloved car's life?

·
Registered
61 Posts
In a lot of respects I blame covid for how we ended up getting to this point so "quickly"

My car used to be my daily until I came to the realization that she is basically irreplaceable like for like and some 16yr old in a brand new kia was gonna take her out of existence

So then I bought a Buick, then a Fiesta ST and now I daily a diesel E-350 that ppl still act like they can't see lmao

Daily driving sucks. I'll be honest. Wish I could WFH (as I lay in bed typing this)

·
Registered
6,183 Posts
I'll have to start checking their site religiously for what gets posted, very interested in seeing what used bits they have to move.
It's a shame someone didnt take over and keep it running, a great source for OEM parts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Big loss!

Do they own any tooling for reproduction parts have they been reselling for others? I recall buying some offset shoot bolt guides from them a while ago but IDK who actually made them.

Hopefully, in either case, we all find a way to make sure the community can still get those parts one way or another.

·
Super Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
4,456 Posts
Ah damn. Hopefully the guys at MR2 Heaven will be interested in picking up any unique reproduction parts tooling and whatnot from TwosRUs.

Take care, David.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Yep - not listed on their site. Is that a sign of hope or just not updated?

They fairly recently released reproduction switch bezel covers for the Mk2 so I assumed they were still full steam ahead. Like many here, I've had good service with them and it was a convenient source for vetted products.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts