MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I called to get a replacement oil pump, they asked me which one I wanted. I ended up getting the oil pump for the later engine. I got it all bolted up and torqued (only 82 in/# ??) and now I have a severe oil leak. I went back, loosened and retightened the bolts and I still have a severe oil leak. Does the later oil pump mount that differently?

Please help, this is ultimately frustrating since I have to take the engine out and retime my cams everytime I do this.

·
Registered
872 Posts
The gen3 oil pump is very much different to the Gen2 oil pump and will only work with the Gen3 sump. If it is a late 5SFE pump which is the high volume pump people tend to use for the Gen2 it should work OK.

Where is the oil leak? If it's in the timing cover I would suspect that you forgot to put the belt guide back in. There is a bolt hole near the bottom timing gear that is meant to have a round stud guide screwed into it and they don't come from Toyota with this part.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
joshstix said:
The gen3 oil pump is very much different to the Gen2 oil pump and will only work with the Gen3 sump. If it is a late 5SFE pump which is the high volume pump people tend to use for the Gen2 it should work OK.

Where is the oil leak? If it's in the timing cover I would suspect that you forgot to put the belt guide back in. There is a bolt hole near the bottom timing gear that is meant to have a round stud guide screwed into it and they don't come from Toyota with this part.
Thanks. I don't think this is a gen3 engine and I asked specifically for a 3sgte oil pump.

The oil leak is exactly where you describe it, behind the timing cover. I don't know what this stud guide is or where it goes, it's not in the BGB. I did replace the crank seal but it doesn't sound like what you meant. I have all the parts from my old pump, it should be there but I don't know what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
872 Posts
It's an aluminium bar that sticks out next to the bottom timing pulley. The timing belt goes in between it and the pulley. Not all pumps came with these. There is a threaded hole for the buide to screw into on the front of the pump which goes through into the oil gallery and this is where the leak comes from.

·
Registered
872 Posts
No problems mate. It's a simple thing to miss since some cars didn't have one but all the new pumps seem to have hte hole drilled and tapped.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts