MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In checking my TVIS, I applied vacuum with a hand pump and did not see the butterflies move (per BGB test). The shaft moves freely otherwise (i.e. not stuck). So I assume the diaphragm is torn - not surprising given the age, heat cycles etc.

Yes I know you can just ditch it, but I'd be interested in repairing. I've looked high and low for a part number on the various part diagrams and cannot see one. I think the entire TVIS plate and actuator are available for a cool $800+ from Amayama o_O

I searched around and didn't find much. I found a post where a guy cut open the actuator then RTV'd the rubber diaphragm and that worked for about a year. I found this post which seems like a more elegant solution but I have never opened one of these up so I don't know what it looks like nor how well this would work:

Any interchangeable parts form Toyota or other manufacturer? I assume these types of things were used on various cars from the era so I'm hopeful there is some solution out there. I found a thread saying a 7MGE vacuum operated actuator works, and is available separately, but sadly that part is discontinued as well. Maybe someone can retrofit an electronic actuator that works with a standalone

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
This thread has a few pics of one cut open:
Hand Drinkware Finger Wood Gas

I have never worked with a carb before -- so this is all new to me -- but it seems like something like this might work?
Output device Gadget Auto part Circle Camera accessory

I assume that if it fits, then as long as I keep the factory spring it should still function as intended? It might take a slight rigging to get the rod length etc to match

1 - 2 of 2 Posts