MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know very little about the boosting world (i see every people every now and then talking about [ct-26, ct-20b, ct-27 t3, t4, etc] turbo's and i just get lost) and i wanted to know how to tell turbos apart from each other, either by their model # (i.e. - ct-26??) or how to tell them apart visually? what makes some turbo's better than others? how many turbo's are out there? are they all interchangable (custom?)?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Here's a picutre of the MR2 stock CT26 (which can be found on Gen II engines) and the Garrett T3/TO4E-50 Trim (used with the Street Brawler Kit from KO racing).

The CT27 is an upgraded CT26 by ATS racing capable of 300+whp. And the Ct-20b can be found on Gen III engines. Turbo guys, correct me if I'm wrong...Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Here is a good place to start.
http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=76922
That just shows the amount of potential each turbo has. You will learn over time by looking at pictures to tell what turbo's are what. Type in the different turbo's names in google and then click on "images" just above the search bar and it will bring up lots of different pictures of that kind of turbo. Try "ct26" first and you will find dozens of pictures, then do "ct20" and keep doing research. It will all start to make sense after an hour or two of research. What makes a turbo better than another is very much an opinion, not a fact. The larger the wheels are on a turbo, typically the more laggier they are. The smaller ones spool faster and give you good low end and mid range power but lack the ability to give you good power at the top end of the powerband. Larger turbo's are laggy and give you less low end power but give you good mid range and top end power. It all depends on what people like is dependant on what turbo they will say is the best. Everyone is looking for the ultimate turbo, full boost by 2500rpms and carries the boost all the way to 8500rpms and can produce 400+horsepower. Nobody has found it yet, and maybe never will but the search will continue until someone does.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
93smgturbo said:
Everyone is looking for the ultimate turbo, full boost by 2500rpms and carries the boost all the way to 8500rpms and can produce 400+horsepower. Nobody has found it yet, and maybe never will but the search will continue until someone does.
VATN?

-Scott

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
what's his name... pouya..? on the boards has a twin-VATN turbo 3s-GTE. I think he took the VATNs off of current Volkswagen TDI engines, I think that's the only engine being produced with VATN turbos right now.

BMW is also building a sequential twin-turbo four-cylinder turbodiesel, I think for use in future 1/2 series european-only cars. The exhaust manifold forks with a valve to allow the exhaust to go into either turbo, and the small turbo, while activated, blows THROUGH the big turbo, then above like 3000 rpms the small turbo is completely shut off and the larger one works by itself.

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
bentheswift said:
what's his name... pouya..? on the boards has a twin-VATN turbo 3s-GTE. I think he took the VATNs off of current Volkswagen TDI engines, I think that's the only engine being produced with VATN turbos right now.

BMW is also building a sequential twin-turbo four-cylinder turbodiesel, I think for use in future 1/2 series european-only cars. The exhaust manifold forks with a valve to allow the exhaust to go into either turbo, and the small turbo, while activated, blows THROUGH the big turbo, then above like 3000 rpms the small turbo is completely shut off and the larger one works by itself.
no his VATN kit was made by mech-tech and they were discontinued a long time ago and only a few were made.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts