MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I have 91 3Sge (2nd gen ??) and planning to bolt turbo on it.

So, here are my plans:

- I'm changing 3sge pistons with 3sgTe (Stock)
- Rods should be the same
- Block is lowered for 0.25mm (it was damaged)
- Head is ported and lowered for 0.2 mm (was damaged allso)
- head gasket is made of stainless steel 1.3 mm thick
- Intake mainfold and throttle body will be from 3sge engine
- will mount extra set of injectors (allso stock?)
- Haven't decide wich turbo will go on it for now...

I'm planning to build a car that would be a daily driver with normal horsepower and fuel consumption and after "flipping a swith" it will provide arround 300-350 whp. Some sort of Piggy-back system?!?

Questions:

1. What flow does stock 3Sge injectors have? (330cc??)
2. What should i do with vacuum lines? Any modifications?
2.1. Does any of you have vacuum diagram for 3sge and 3sgte?
3. What should i do with t-vis? Do i still need it?
4. Do i need extra fuel pump for another set of injectors?
5. And for now the last question... Will engine and tranny hold that amount of power?

Thanks, Klemen

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
1. What flow does stock 3Sge injectors have? (330cc??)---they are either 315 or 330 but they are real low...verify on the mr2oc.co.uk board

2. What should i do with vacuum lines? Any modifications?---you will have to tie into the factory map sensor and run several one way valves to prevent it from reading boost. other than that are you planning on running a FPR...you will have to get a boost signal from it...i can show you my setup for the vac lines when you get there

2. Does any of you have vacuum diagram for 3sge and 3sgte?---get on mr2oc.co.uk and u can find it...

3. What should i do with t-vis? Do i still need it?----leave it alone...while on the dyno we messed around with it and couldn't find any more power locked away by tweaking its opening point the only better thing to do would be a custom manifold with out it there otherwise leave it...

4. Do i need extra fuel pump for another set of injectors? ---yes get the walbro 255...

5. And for now the last question... Will engine and tranny hold that amount of power?---yes

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
other than that are you planning on running a FPR...
What is that? (Sorry, i'm not very good with initials)

Otherwise, thanks for reply, now i only need to find vacuum diagram mr2.co.uk.

Can you recomend me any good check-valves for vacuum hoses?

·
Premium Member
9,213 Posts
The stock Gen 3 injectors are 315cc I think the second gen are like 294cc.
The first thing I would address is the intake manifold. The runners are very long for a turbo setup. I would remove the long runners and replace it with a intake manifold from a first gen 3S-GE. Once you do that you will also need to make a bracket to mount the throttle body to the first gen manifold so it can clear the IAC. The first gen 3S-GE manifold is designed better for a turbo application.

If you?re interested I already had an adaptor plate made up to work with the second gen throttle body and I have a set of 315cc injectors from a gen 3, I also have a manifold that I cleaned out, PM if interested.

The next thing you will have to address if the fuel cut. The 3S-GE ECU was not intended for boosting. You will need to get the BLACK BOX fuel cut defense system.

My next concern would be the pistons. If I were you I would get a set of stock Gen 3 8:5:1 compression pistons instead of the 9:8:1 pistons from the US 3S-GTE engines.

The next thing I would address if the oil supply for the turbo. Many people decide to take the oil feed from the head where the stock oil sensor is located. I personally don?t believe in doing that. If for any reason you have problems with getting oil to the head your turbo will go also. I like using the sandwich plate that sits between the oil filter and the block. Many of them come with two outputs. One can be used for the oil supply for the turbo ad the other for a external oil pressure sensor that could read actual PSI. by going this route it will allow you to keep the OH SHOOT I ran out of oil light and be able to read actual oil pressure in PSI with a gauge.

Hope this information helps.

·
Registered
72 Posts
eazy2001x said:
The stock Gen 3 injectors are 315cc I think the second gen are like 294cc.
The first thing I would address is the intake manifold. The runners are very long for a turbo setup. I would remove the long runners and replace it with a intake manifold from a first gen 3S-GE. Once you do that you will also need to make a bracket to mount the throttle body to the first gen manifold so it can clear the IAC. The first gen 3S-GE manifold is designed better for a turbo application.
Instead of changing from a ACIS manifold to a T-VIS manifold, why don't you just manually open up the flaps on the ACIS manifold so that it takes the short path all the time.

·
Premium Member
9,213 Posts
BLADDER_MASTER said:
Instead of changing from a ACIS manifold to a T-VIS manifold, why don't you just manually open up the flaps on the ACIS manifold so that it takes the short path all the time.
The runners are still really long.. Also he will have a better distribution of air with the gen 1 3S-GE manifold. Than going with a closed ACIS flap. When it?s open it simulates longer runners. When it?s closed it simulates shorter runners.

the shorter runner will improve top end performance, however I have a friend of mine putting down 360 something to the wheels on his MR2 turbo second gen with the first gen 3S-GE intake manifold. I also personally saw an improvement when I built one of my 5S-GE projects some time ago using a second gen head in my 86 Celica.

I?m not discrediting your opinion and it may work out for his application but just consider the following.

* an even proportion of air to the cylinders
* a shorter runner design (which will also keep the intake manifold away from the exhaust manifold, keeping it cool)
* TVIS actually works better on a turbo car than ACIS for the fact that it directly interferes with the air flow yielding torque. Instead of the change in harmonica of the ACIS system hence the acronyms Acoustic, controlled Induction, System.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, I need shorter intake mainfold... That is no problem, i can make one to look like on turbo correct lenght, but then that four throttles of tvis doesen't come on maifold anymore?! I'm a bit confused...

·
Premium Member
9,213 Posts
Or you can just get one.. If you need the manifold with adaptor plate PM me and we will go from there. Or do more research and get back to me. The choice is yours.. If this where my project that would be the route that I would follow..

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, i have sandwich plate betwen oil filter and block, so oil "distribution" is no problem.

But where should i take watter from? Where is the biggest presure? Maybe to cut oil cooler pipes and then connect turbo first, then oil cooler?

·
Premium Member
9,213 Posts
I would leave the stock oil cooler connected to the block and put the sandwich on top of that. This way there is no need to modify anything. and I?m working on the pics for you or just remove the stock oil cooler..

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
yea thats what i did...just use a good sandwich that wont interfere with the oil return line and exhaust manifold and relocate the filter down to the frame and run your oil supply from the filter relocation kit...i get good oil pressure from there...

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
oh and on the fuel sure the 3sge has an FPR but if he is going to stay with stock injectors then he will need a rising rate FPR to piggiback off the stock one to give him more fuel for the boost...or he can get some bigger injectors from a 1j which wont be a big gain so Id go with some HKS injectors they offer some 550s if i recall....

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have one complete injection set on my desk, so anoither set of injectors will have their own FPR, pump and everything that coms with it, so that is not a problem.

Tell me more about that oil filter relocation kit, do you have any link or pics?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts